Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left vs right

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Left vs right

    Just making my list out for a major order at SI so I can pick up at the York swap meet ...... Always seems to be an issue for me what is considered left and right on these cars . ..... Is the drivers side left or right ???





    sigpic

    Home of the Fried Green Tomato

    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

    1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

  • #2
    When the Left & Right side of Automobiles are concerned, there never has been any thought of Looking at it from the Front, always from the Drivers Seat, Driver side is Left and Passenger side is Right, except on Right hand drive Cars which as always, are Backwards!


    Also on most of the Studebaker Numbered Parts (non-800XXX S.I. #'s) the ODD last digit is Left the EVEN is Right. (not sure about Pre-'53)
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Rich , that is what I thought but I just wanted to make sure.
      sigpic

      Home of the Fried Green Tomato

      "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

      1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

      Comment


      • #4
        I have always heard of the driver's side as in cars for the US being on the left side. Someone will let me know if this is not politically correct!
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

        Comment


        • #5
          The side of the car is determined by how it looks when you are sitting in the driver's seat, looking towards the front. If you are in Canada, United States, Mexico or Europe, that is the left side. If you are in Great Britain or Japan, that is the right side.
          Bill Jarvis

          Comment


          • #6
            AHHHHHHH, Left is always left and right is always right, but drivers side and passengers side change with the steering wheel location. Not sure how you deal with a tandem seating arrangement..........I guess the passenger side is the rear?
            Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
            The side of the car is determined by how it looks when you are sitting in the driver's seat, looking towards the front. If you are in Canada, United States, Mexico or Europe, that is the left side. If you are in Great Britain or Japan, that is the right side.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

            Comment


            • #7
              When I was racing in the SCCA I learned from the flaggers and communicators the they always identify the side of the course as "driver's left" or "driver's right." On more than one occasion, my "driver's left" very quickly became my "driver's right".

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                Just making my list out for a major order at SI so I can pick up at the York swap meet ...... Always seems to be an issue for me what is considered left and right on these cars . ..... Is the drivers side left or right ???





                Yes!!!
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com


                "Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

                Comment


                • #9
                  Bob I always tell my customers and my guys that work with me, ( the passenger is always RIGHT, so the driver LEFT) goofy but it helps as a reminder.......

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    When the Left & Right side of Automobiles are concerned, there never has been any thought of Looking at it from the Front, always from the Drivers Seat, Driver side is Left and Passenger side is Right, except on Right hand drive Cars which as always, are Backwards!
                    That`s not quite correct Rich
                    The left would still be the same no matter what side the steering wheel is as right and left are viewed from the driver looking through the windshield
                    the only way it would be backwards would be if a right hand car driver was facing the rear !!!!!
                    Now if you were quoting nearside and Offside then that`s a different matter !!!
                    You`d be correct then
                    Geoff Bull

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Seriously? Ten posts on this ???

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                        Just making my list out for a major order at SI so I can pick up at the York swap meet.
                        I have also have a big list 'in waiting'. But no way will I place any orders right now while the Canadian $$ worth only 70 cents US.

                        Craig

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          I have also have a big list 'in waiting'. But no way will I place any orders right now while the Canadian $$ worth only 70 cents US.

                          Craig
                          Craig , had the same thought but if I wait 'till the $ gets better I'll probably be too old to do the work
                          sigpic

                          Home of the Fried Green Tomato

                          "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

                          1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by fiveftsix View Post
                            That`s not quite correct Rich
                            The left would still be the same no matter what side the steering wheel is as right and left are viewed from the driver looking through the windshield
                            the only way it would be backwards would be if a right hand car driver was facing the rear !!!!!
                            Now if you were quoting nearside and Offside then that`s a different matter !!!
                            You`d be correct then
                            Geoff Bull
                            That's right! Therefore: Right Hand Drive! Or,Right Hand Control,as denoted as "RHC' for the backward countries!
                            Oglesby,Il.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                              Seriously? Ten posts on this ???
                              It's winter!
                              Oglesby,Il.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X