X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Hawk FS on Hemmings.com

An interesting car, kinda:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...tml?refer=blog

Records indicate the car was built for South Bend stock with power drum brakes and front bumper guards.

When a dealer in Hampton VA rescued it from purgatory (i.e., Studebaker Storage Lot 151), they pulled it back in and removed the power brakes (Option #39) and front bumper guards (Option #71)! Then they added Option #81, Front Seat Belts, which you would think would have been standard and on the car anyway. As the current dealer properly discloses, the Air Conditioning was not factory installed. It also got a new Window Sticker before being shipped to Hampton.

Finally, the car was built and shipped solid Astra White with Blue Vinyl Interior. If you look closely around the Serial Number plate in the picture, you can see silver paint chipped off along the bottom and Astra White peeking through from underneath. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 01-09-2016, 12:33 PM. Reason: added bold face to and shipped for clarity as to color when it left South Bend.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

You could bring it back to its original Astra White and add it to your collection of white 1964s.

I believe that there was a recent thread on this car (that paint job is hard to forget), but not from the Hemmings ad.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Oh no, it's that funky Two-Tone Job!

So we have no proof that Studebaker actually re-painted this Car Moonlight Silver at all?

I have heard about equipment being added and even removed from the unsold '64's in lot 151 (Hmmm, is that anything like Area 51?) to meet dealer orders AFTER Production ceased, but always wondered just how far they would go. Would they actually do a Re-paint? I am pretty sure the answer is NO!

I remember one Day in 1964 walking through the area of the Shop next to the Body Shop at Frank H. Afton Co. Studebaker Mercedes and seeing TWO brand new, unlicensed '64 GT Hawks side by side, one on a Twin Post Hoist the other on the drive-on 4 Ft. fixed Alignment Rack.

Since the Brakes were all apart, I asked one of the Mechanics working on one what was going on, and he said; they sold the one Car without Power Disc Brakes and were switching the entire Drum Brake System over to Disc from the other Hawk per the buyer's preference! I could not believe they would do that, but obviously there were no more Hawks with the correct Color and equipment in the System!

You have to wonder if they read the Master Cylinder Detail Parts List in the Chassis Parts Catalog and found the Rubber Cushion and the one-way Residual Valve that needed to be removed from the Drum Brake Car to make it per design.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 01-09-2016, 01:14 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        You could bring it back to its original Astra White and add it to your collection of white 1964s.
        It would be nice, Gary, but I'm "at capacity;" All 12 of our vehicles can be inside at night here at home, so something would have to go to acquire another car, collector or otherwise. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That car was owned by our Ohio Region SDC president, Don Morgan, and I've been around it many times. It's a nice car but speaking only personally, that paint scheme was a turnoff to me.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Ahh, a Buick and a MoPar would be no great loss, even though they ARE Convertibles!
            StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              It would be nice, Gary, but I'm "at capacity;" All 12 of our vehicles can be inside at night here at home, so something would have to go to acquire another car, collector or otherwise. BP
              I was realy kidding as I know you like original paint on your cars.

I can also understand the space part of it. I also keep everything inside. When I was paying rent for storage across three counties, I decided; This is silly. and reduced the fleet.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Oh no, it's that funky Two-Tone Job!
                Yes, THAT car! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-64-GT-on-ebay

Comment

Did anyone else notice the odd grille shell fitment at the lower right corner? I wonder how you could correct that without breaking the die casting. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Over on this Original post about the two-Tone Hawk, that Craig kindly posted the Link to:
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-64-GT-on-ebay

Posts 5 and especially #8 mentions the Trans. Dial seen in the Video being modified.

I see that it says: P N R D2 D, (at 2:07) so this must be a Custom Column Shift, GM THM?

https://youtu.be/z6V5sf1UBmw?t=128
                    StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Over on this Original post about the two-Tone Hawk, that Craig kindly posted the Link to:
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-64-GT-on-ebay

Posts 5 and especially #8 mentions the Trans. Dial seen in the Video being modified.

I see that it says: P N R D2 D, (at 2:07) so this must be a Custom Column Shift, GM THM?
                      I have owned a 1958 with a Studebaker V8 and a FordOMatic transmission. The column shift indicator was the Ford pattern, not the Studebaker pattern. People didn't notice that, but they did notice that the shift indicator housing was chrome and not painted.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I had to go back and look,like You said quite a gap - I don't know for sure,but wouldn't be surprised if it could be straightened with out breaking the cast.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Did anyone else notice the odd grille shell fitment at the lower right corner? I wonder how you could correct that without breaking the die casting. BP
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                        X