The 56J's Motor Back In Today, After A Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 56J's Motor Back In Today, After A Year

January, 2015, I pulled the 352 out for rebuild, after almost 100,000 miles since last time I rebuilt it. As is often with 352s, several snags occurred, mostly related to parts availability, and waiting on the machine shop. I'd crossed all those hurdles by last summer, then just got out of the mood to fool with it.

I work 50+ hours per week, so value time off. When off work, if something is not fun, I have trouble making myself do it. Recently, working on Studes is just not the fun it used to be. So I have done needed maintenance on the two GTs, in order to keep them on the road, and just let the 56J set.

I have been on vacation almost three weeks now, but must go back to work Monday. Yesterday, I completed reassembly on the 352, and chassis prep; now just waiting on the garage to warm up, to go out and drop the motor in. Hopefully, will get it all hooked up by Sunday eve.

My love for the car, and missing being behind its wheel, are the motivators to, "git er done". Can't wait to start on the next 100,000 miles. Each and every mile in a Stude is truly an adventure.

Yes, Joe, we know exactly what you are feeling. My projects take much longer than they formerly did. Congrats on getting it back together.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Is your car already painted , and mostly driveable? Have you taken the front end off to put the engine in? Have you replaced the front springs in your chassis? Just interested in those right now because of the one for sale on e bay, and the suggestion to race it in pure stock. I'm sure it's a nice car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Always a great feeling to get a motor back together and dropping it back in a car.
        I had just removed and rebuilt the motor and automatic transmission in my Wagonaire in the summer of 2013. That September I went down with a serious illness which nearly killed me. After surviving and recovery in 2014, I got back out to the garage and put the motor and transmission back in this past summer.
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 14x7 View Post
          Is your car already painted , and mostly driveable? Have you taken the front end off to put the engine in? Have you replaced the front springs in your chassis? Just interested in those right now because of the one for sale on e bay, and the suggestion to race it in pure stock. I'm sure it's a nice car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          I have been driving this car since around 1987, shortly after I bought it. I did a frame-on, amateur restoration, and have driven it over 150,000 miles since. I have kept up on the mechanicals pretty good, fixing things as needed, to keep her going. Also did several, "drive-ability" improvements along the way, mainly safety and creature comfort related.

The interior and exterior are getting tired, and I had planned to coordinate a paint job with the motor rebuild. But at this point, I have bitten off all I can chew, with just the motor. I'd planned to remove the front fenders, freshly undercoat them, paint the aprons, and freshen the engine bay, but unsure if I will bother, for now.

Joe H

Comment

now all you gotta do is get it off to the Pure Muscle Car Drags.....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
              now all you gotta do is get it off to the Pure Muscle Car Drags.....LOL
              And that's a big LOL. I am most always traveling further than 1/4 mile. For those in a hurry to get there, go ahead, and I'll be along later.

In fooling with Harleys a few years ago, I got involved with an aftermarket hot rod motor company called, "S&S". I discovered two choices: Go faster, but not further. Or go further but not faster. Eventually, I chose the latter in Harleys, and have always chosen the later in Studes.

Comment

Congrats! It's always great to hear about a COOL car, used as transportation. See you further down the road. Looking forward to any updates.
                My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                sigpic
                Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

I feel your pain, Joe, it took me 5 years to assemble enough good parts, time, and reliable machine shops to put my little 185 OHV 6 together. All that for something that has the output between a 170 OHV 6 and a worn 259. Eh, sometime you just have to try something, even when you know it's not worth the time and money.

Anyway a 352 IS worth the time and money, congrats!
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                    I have been driving this car since around 1987, shortly after I bought it. I did a frame-on, amateur restoration, and have driven it over 150,000 miles since. I have kept up on the mechanicals pretty good, fixing things as needed, to keep her going. Also did several, "drive-ability" improvements along the way, mainly safety and creature comfort related.

The interior and exterior are getting tired, and I had planned to coordinate a paint job with the motor rebuild. But at this point, I have bitten off all I can chew, with just the motor. I'd planned to remove the front fenders, freshly undercoat them, paint the aprons, and freshen the engine bay, but unsure if I will bother, for now.

Joe H
                    Long ago, I used a factory stick o/d with p/s 1956 Golden Hawk as an everyday driver for six years......Fond memories!...(Mostly!!)

Comment

Fine Joe, I'm still waiting for the day I hear my rebuild 352 first time one the road - needs a lot of patience , but my anticipation is still great.

Men don't get older but their toys get more expensive ...
                      Walter

80 Fiat Spider
                      63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015
                      60 Hawk sold 2017 in England
                      56 Golden Hawk
                      56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
                      68 Volvo P1800S
                      56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

Comment

Originally posted by Santosh View Post
                        Fine Joe, I'm still waiting for the day I hear my rebuild 352 first time one the road - needs a lot of patience , but my anticipation is still great.

Men don't get older but their toys get more expensive ...
                        Walter, ...Did the Packard 352 engine in your '56 GH need to be bored?...If it did it, it would be nice to go 1/8" to 4 1/8", the stock '56 Packard senior V8's factory cylinder size...374CI!

Comment

Well I finally fired it off today, and ran it in for about an hour, in the garage. All is well; it runs like a sewing machine; no leaks, smoke, ticks or knocks; all gauges work, as they did before tear down. Tomorrow, will put the rocker covers on, gravel shield back on, and get ready to go for a ride, once the salt is off the roads.

Its gonna feel good to get back in the 56J driver's seat. The GTs are nice, but just ain't the same. I always feel like I'm a dragster, when I get in the 56J for the first time after driving a GT for awhile. This time, its been a looong while

Comment

What style rocker covers do you run on her Joe?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                              And that's a big LOL. I am most always traveling further than 1/4 mile. For those in a hurry to get there, go ahead, and I'll be along later.

In fooling with Harleys a few years ago, I got involved with an aftermarket hot rod motor company called, "S&S". I discovered two choices: Go faster, but not further. Or go further but not faster. Eventually, I chose the latter in Harleys, and have always chosen the later in Studes.

Boy I'll agree with this! It's nice to know that the old girl will get up and boogey when needed though. I had a '62 sedan with the 289 V8 and tranny out of a '63 Wagonaire. Sweet Pea looked like a little old lady's car, but she wasn't. Surprised the hell out of a BMW owner one afternoon!

By the by, congrats on getting the 56J back on the road. That's one nice car!
                              Last edited by studeclunker; 01-17-2016, 01:36 PM. Reason: eh heh, I forgot...
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X