interior door handle and window crank positions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interior door handle and window crank positions

This is on a 1953 champion. What position is the inside door handle and window crank handle clocked from the factory? Both of my is at 6 o'clock. Try searching.Found nothing . Thanks

Was there a standard position? I'm not sure but I would doubt it. I have often moved my window crank handles so they would not interfere with my knee. Put them where you want them.
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Just about every Studebaker ever built had the Door and Window Cranks clocked at 5:00 Left and 7:00 Right or very close to it, with the Windows in their normal up position.

I have almost NEVER seen one that has had the door Panels removed or re-upholstered that has them in the correct position! It's very annoying, and easy to do right.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This might be an urban legion, but I have heard that window crank handles should be in the 6 o'clock (straight down) position, with the window tightly closed, so that the weight of the handle doesn't accidentally crank the window open due to road vibration. Perhaps this would be more applicable to vehicles with old and worn window regulators, channels, etc..

Similar logic might also apply to the door handle position.

Anyway I pass this along as an FYI.
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Interesting Dan,never thought much about it.

Originally posted by dpson View Post
          This might be an urban legion, but I have heard that window crank handles should be in the 6 o'clock (straight down) position, with the window tightly closed, so that the weight of the handle doesn't accidentally crank the window open due to road vibration. Perhaps this would be more applicable to vehicles with old and worn window regulators, channels, etc..

Similar logic might also apply to the door handle position.

Anyway I pass this along as an FYI.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Correct for Who, on lookers or Owners/Users . I've set Mine so not to bump Arm or Knee,now to Me that's annoying.guess I'm thinking outside the 50s 60s Mind set.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Just about every Studebaker ever built had the Door and Window Cranks clocked at 5:00 Left and 7:00 Right or very close to it, with the Windows in their normal up position.

I have almost NEVER seen one that has had the door Panels removed or re-upholstered that has them in the correct position! It's very annoying, and easy to do right.
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Ask 10 people, and get 10 different answers.

My 63 Avanti is very original what appears to be untouched. It was last driven in 1972 before I purchased it in 2008. The window cranks are 11 O'Clock right and 1 O'Clock left with the windows up.
              Last edited by Paul K.; 01-06-2016, 07:33 PM.

Comment

10 People 10 answers is right up My ally,Paul do You mean too say "original"

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                Ask 10 people, and get 10 different answers.

My 63 Avanti is very unoriginal what appears to be untouched. It was last driven in 1972 before I purchased it in 2008. The window cranks are 11 O'Clock right and 1 O'Clock left with the windows up.
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Yes, made the correction. Thanks.

Comment

3 or 9 o'clock position would give the best handle weight to prevent the window from vibrating down.
                    I always position my window cranks to give pressure against rolling down, but also not to hit my knee.

Comment

I agree with Studerich, every factory photo I have seen shows the handles slanting forward about 30 degrees (except Avanti door handles). The 1956-66 splines seem to allow for this angle to be found fairly easily. If your window regulators creep down because of handle weight then you have something wrong with the regulator.

Chris.

Comment

Nobody has stated that pre 55 window regulator shafts are square, with a screw holding the handle in place. You can't clock it every few degrees like 56-66.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Great question!
                          Sort of like having the TP over in front, or over in back...
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I agree with Rich and Chris on the door handles. This is for ease in opening the door. I have seen cars done with the handles in a position that makes it very hard to open the door.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I think more about the guy on the assembly line...
                              What is the easiest way to hold it and snap it onto the splined stub.
                              Ergonomic's.
                              (Brad does make a good point about the square stubs)
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X