1951 door locking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 door locking

I was reading a thread about adding power door locks when I realized that my 51 business coupe does not have the lock knobs in the garnish molding.
    I then found that I have no way to lock the doors from the interior of the car. Was that done by pushing the door release lever forward as in my 37? It does not work for this car. The previous owner has changed something and I haven't taken the door panels off yet to see if something is missing.
    I could not find anything about this doing a forum search.
    Thanks,

Yes, push the inside door handles forward to lock the door.

Comment

The key locks have a square shaft that fits into a square hole in the lock/latch mechanism. If the shaft is not clocked properly, you can lose the inside door lock function.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

If you are inside the car and pushing the latch forward does not lock the door, as Roy indicated, the shaft is not properly clocked. Even when properly operating it is not possible to lock the front doors on a four door, or either door on a two door with the lock handle and then shut the doors locked, as you can with most other makes. You can lock yourself in but you cannot lock yourself out. Front doors MUST be locked with a key from the outside. Just another good idea from Studebaker; until you break your key because you neglected maintenance lubrication of your lock cylinder and latch.
        Last edited by rockne10; 01-01-2016, 05:56 PM.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Thanks, I have to remove the lock cylinders to have keys made later so will remedy the problem then.

Comment

Working...
          X