Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964 Turqouise Avanti 4spd in Jersey. does it still exist??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Turqouise Avanti 4spd in Jersey. does it still exist??

The first Avanti I ever drove was a 1964 square light R1 Avanti with a four speed. It was turquoise with a matching interior. I drove it back in the late 60's or very early 70's when it was for sale by the original owner. I've always been curious if that car still exists. Anybody back east know of the car or remember it?

Originally posted by nels View Post
    The first Avanti I ever drove was a 1964 square light R1 Avanti with a four speed. It was turquoise with a matching interior. I drove it back in the late 60's or very early 70's when it was for sale by the original owner. I've always been curious if that car still exists. Anybody back east know of the car or remember it?
    Yeah, Nels; IIRC, it was sold to a junk yard owner. He pulled the R1 Stude engine, scrapped it, and dropped a worn, 135,000-mile 307 Chevy in it from a '67 Impala because, you know, he "could get parts for the Chevy." He then used it with a tow dolly to drag junk cars to his yard before the frame got so rusty it collapsed.

The body was pulled and sold to Starcraft Industries to recycle the fiberglass into a new line of environmentally-friendly, recycled watercraft; remember the low-price Starcraft Eco-Sport line?

The remaining mechanical parts went to China. 'Last I heard, they traced some of the metal to a Yugo prototype.

Apparently, there was something to the story about the original owner being disgusted when a CASO who saw it earlier wouldn't pay up for it. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Tough find without the "R" number Nels.

Comment

Last seen being backfilled over in the NJ Meadowlands.......which was a bit difficult to effecuate..........as all the human bodies that took up residence for years had to be dealt with:-).........a favorite site of Tony Soprano:-)

Comment

Bob, the rest of that '67 Impala must be really in rough shape, as that worn-out 307 would have been from a '68 or later model.

Just funnin' you!
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Yeah, Nels; IIRC, it was sold to a junk yard owner. He pulled the R1 Stude engine, scrapped it, and dropped a worn, 135,000-mile 307 Chevy in it from a '67 Impala because, you know, he "could get parts for the Chevy." He then used it with a tow dolly to drag junk cars to his yard before the frame got so rusty it collapsed.

The body was pulled and sold to Starcraft Industries to recycle the fiberglass into a new line of environmentally-friendly, recycled watercraft; remember the low-price Starcraft Eco-Sport line?

The remaining mechanical parts went to China. 'Last I heard, they traced some of the metal to a Yugo prototype.

Apparently, there was something to the story about the original owner being disgusted when a CASO who saw it earlier wouldn't pay up for it. BP
            Well that explains it, Bob. It's no wonder I haven't seen it around. Do you know what happened to the 4 speed trans?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
              Bob, the rest of that '67 Impala must be really in rough shape, as that worn-out 307 would have been from a '68 or later model.

Just funnin' you!
              Right, Bill; I forgot to mention that it was already a used 1969 307 that had been installed in the 1967 Impala to keep IT going! <GGG> BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                Well that explains it, Bob. It's no wonder I haven't seen it around. Do you know what happened to the 4 speed trans?
                As a matter of fact I do, Nels.

I saw it up at our city park during Brownsburg's 4th of July celebration, the annual Brownsburg Lions Club 4th of July Extravaganza, a couple years ago. The rent-a-ride amusement company had installed it on the Tilt-a-Whirl to give teen-agers a higher-speed twirl in fourth gear after 10 PM.

(By then, children who were terrified of the speed attained when the little Crosley's 4-banger spun the ride in fourth gear, had gone home with their parents.) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Sounds a lot like member Bob Caser's car. Now in California with an amazing, nearly complete restoration.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando66 View Post
                    Sounds a lot like member Bob Caser's car. Now in California with an amazing, nearly complete restoration.
                    It is not my car, but Dave Kinney did buy a 64 turquoise car from New Jersey around that time frame. I do not remember if it was a four speed. It was a square light 1964.
                    Bob Caser
                    mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                      It is not my car, but Dave Kinney did buy a 64 turquoise car from New Jersey around that time frame. I do not remember if it was a four speed. It was a square light 1964.
                      Bob Caser
                      Where does Dave live, Bob?

Comment

I believe he is in Virginia. I do remember seeing a picture of the car and Dave telling me it came out of New Jersey. It was a long time ago.
                        Bob Caser
                        mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                          Bob Caser
                          Nels,
                          Dave is in Great Falls Va. I have known him for over 30 yrs and don't recall him owning that car. I did purchase a 64 Turquoise. R1 auto a/c Avanti from him in the late 80's, and he currently owns another late 64 Turquoise R1 4spd car that we are restoring.
                          JS
                          I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            As a matter of fact I do, Nels.

I saw it up at our city park during Brownsburg's 4th of July celebration, the annual Brownsburg Lions Club 4th of July Extravaganza, a couple years ago. The rent-a-ride amusement company had installed it on the Tilt-a-Whirl to give teen-agers a higher-speed twirl in fourth gear after 10 PM.

(By then, children who were terrified of the speed attained when the little Crosley's 4-banger spun the ride in fourth gear, had gone home with their parents.) BP
                            Bob, I'm recovering from The Mother of All Colds...don't make me laugh so hard, it hurts my lungs!
                            Mike Davis
                            Regional Manager, North Carolina
                            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
                              Bob, I'm recovering from The Mother of All Colds...don't make me laugh so hard, it hurts my lungs!
                              'Sorry, Mike; there are risks attendant to participating on this forum. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                              X