'60 lark wagon - new to Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '60 lark wagon - new to Studebakers

Just bought a 60 Lark wagon. (Was on Bring a Trailer). Ordered a carb kit. Stalls on braking. Anyone know this car? I've found some old post info on the interwebs, but would like to get the skinny from someone who knows its history. Looking forward to finishing it for summer driving duty.

Sit tight....someone will be along shortly. I used to have a 64 Wagonaire.
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Kevin.

We are going to need to see it, to connect to it and help.
      Can you follow the instructions here as to how to Load a picture on your "C" Drive and then Post it here?

UPDATE: OK, since you and this '60 Lark Deluxe VI (Six) Overdrive, 4 Door Wagon are both in North Carolina, I am guessing this is it?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	60 Deluxe Wagon 6 O.D2a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1703186 I am pretty sure that you will find that none of us know much more than the Ad and all of it's questions and answers tell about it.

Here is the eBay Ad:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Studeba...p2047675.l2557

That really IS a LOT of Car for the money, I think Bring-A-Trailer is right, that Color Combo is totally appropriate for a Station Wagon.

Your stalling on braking, is most likely a High Float Adjustment, but there have been Rare instances of trash in the Tank clogging the Forward mounted Fuel Pickup Line, not all that likely.

The Carb. may need a Rebuild, it should be a Carter 1 Barrel Model "AS" version, 2934SA
      Last edited by StudeRich; 12-27-2015, 03:22 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Milktruck View Post
        Just bought a 60 Lark wagon. (Was on Bring a Trailer). Ordered a carb kit. Stalls on braking. Anyone know this car? I've found some old post info on the interwebs, but would like to get the skinny from someone who knows its history. Looking forward to finishing it for summer driving duty.
        Do not know anything specific about your particular car but thought you might like to see the entire LARK line-up for '60.

Name:	60 LOOK ad1 labeled.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1703182
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Here ya go! Got a few more, but will respect the limitation on the site. I can publish links later on. The car starts fine, but won't hold an idle until warm. Choke just kills it, so I'm not even using that. Once warm the car will idle for about 5 mins then will stumble and stall. When I putter around, the car stalls immediately when I step on the brake. Pretty much need to feather the pedal to keep it going at a stop light.

Name:	IMG_3001.jpg
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	1703185
          Attached Files

Comment

StudeRich that is it.

Comment

This is what I found listed in a March 2012 Craigslist ad for the car in Portland:

1960 Lark wagon. 4 door, 3 speed w/overdrive, flathead six. Solid, very little rust. Good glass. Runs great. New: tires, wiring, radiator, brakes and lines, gas tank and lines, motor has just been rebuilt. NOS rear floor mat. Needs: interior work, paint, overdrive needs a new solenoid and a switch. Everything works (lights, turnsignals, heater, wipers etc) except for the overdrive and the radio. This is a great little project car, you could finish restoring it or put a small block and an automatic in it. It runs, drives and stops good.

Comment

Your contacting this forum was a good first step, Milktruck. Now you need (if you haven't already) to join the club, both the local Chapter and the international club. The reason for this is there is a very active group there in North Carolina and some really good people not far away in Georgia. Get connected with the people local to you who can help. Are you near Charlotte?

Another thing to do, for an immediate help, is to post this motor issue in the technical sub-forum. There are a lot of wonderful people who frequent that forum, that will likely be able to help considerably. Like they told me quite some time ago, "These motors are very simple. There are three things that make these motors run; air, fuel, and spark." One or more of these are your issue at hand with your Lark. It will likely be something quite simple that will get that little six purring along like she should.
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Try turning the Idle richness screw at the forward base of the Carb. usually they run best at 1 1/2 Turns out (Counterclockwise) from closed (=Clockwise).
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 12-27-2015, 03:36 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Just to clarify that Rich, is that 1 1/2 turns clockwise?
                    Ron Smith

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll join in the next couple of days. And yes, these are dead simple engines. I feel blessed that this is the first time I've dealt with a single carb setup. Been wrenching on '70s BMWs for years, and every one had at least 2 carbs.

Comment

LOL, if you can handle a Bee-mer these should be no challenge at all. Just don't over-think it!Click image for larger version

Name:	emo3.gif
Views:	83
Size:	1,001 Bytes
ID:	1703191
                        Ron Smith

Comment

Love that Lark! I've had mine for 3 years as a daily driver and not had any reason to regret doing it. FYI, I did have a local carb rebuilder go through my carb for $160-$170, just as a price point for comparison.

http://competitioncarburetion.com/carburetors.htm

When I got my car, someone had previously installed a 2 pole switch under the dash for the OD unit. In case someone suggests doing this, I concur. It makes the car into a 6 speed trans this way, and in the wintertime on hills, it's been a nifty feature to have at a flick. Depending on mileage and your car's history, other than climbing hills at freeway speeds, on the flat or near level, I have no problem doing 65 with my Lark VI 3spd/OD wagon. It just takes us 10 or 15 seconds longer to get to the same flow of traffic speed we all end up traveling in, is all. You'll notice traffic drive around you, until you end up driving with them in the next block anyway when you're all stopped at the same light.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. That's one nice Lark! Congratulations!

Comment

As far as history of the car, you can get a copy of the car's production order through the Studebaker National Museum. It's possible you may find something interesting and unique about where your car originally landed and what options it originally came with.
                              Mine had a passenger seat head rest, now lost to time and a prior upholsterer's decision to cover over the opening for the head rest. I was pleased to see my car originally had been sent to Sacramento, CA, so I had a good chance it was in good, old car weather its lifetime.

Comment

Working...
                              X