Distributor for a 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor for a 289

I need a distributor for a 64 hawk. SI will sell a rebuilt one but I have to send in a rebuild able core and mine is not rebuildable. The oil pump drive broke loose and fell in the oil pan. I am just able to drop the pan to get it out. Any body know of one?

Did you contact Dave T-bow in Mass.? He had/has new distributors made up. His original supplier Mallory, was bought out, and he has a new supplier, I called Dave from the PRI show in Indy a couple weeks ago. He was holding the first one in his hand.

He may have them now.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

I have V8 distributors, completely rebuilt, new cap, rotor, vacuum advance, performance curve, Mopar solid state trigger - $295.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
        I need a distributor for a 64 hawk. SI will sell a rebuilt one but I have to send in a rebuild able core and mine is not rebuildable. The oil pump drive broke loose and fell in the oil pan. I am just able to drop the pan to get it out. Any body know of one?
        Sometimes it's just the roll pin that has broken and the end of the shaft drops out. This all depends on how you discovered the problem and when it dropped off. If it's in the pan then I suspect you were removing the distributor and it dropped off. Other than that if the very tip, where the blade of the drive sits in the oil pump, broke off you have more going on than just needing a rebuild for the distributor.

Getting back to the shaft. If you can fish it out or recover it by dropping the pan it can be reattached with a new roll pin. I have pulled distributors and found all manner of creative ways people have attached the shaft. My first Studebaker had a roofing nail pushed through and bent over to keep it together. Once you have all the parts of your distributor it can then be determined if in fact it does need a rebuild. How did you come to the conclusion for the rebuild?

Len

Comment

Working...
        X