Studebaker and the Airmail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker and the Airmail

I received a local history book from my wife for Christmas, so of course, right after joking with her about scanning the old photos for pictures I could see were Studebakers, I come across a pretty easy target. I am asking local club members if they know of any story behind how it was someone made sure the Studebaker was highlighted in a photograph highlighting commercial airmail service back in the 1920s.

http://www.amazon.com/Remembering-Reno-Donnelyn-Curtis/dp/1596526769

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1750144Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1750145

Car is a 1928 Commander model GB 2nd Design.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NV/Airfields_NV_NW.htm
      this is info of the airport

Comment

Originally posted by avanti1982 View Post
        Very Cool! Thanks. I knew there was an airfield in town and I assumed that was where this commercial operation was. I also knew about the Sky Ranch, but I was under the impression that it wasn't a large or commercial operation. Clearly I was wrong. This will likely help identify what was going on. INTERESTING!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        Car is a 1928 Commander model GB 2nd Design.
        Thank you Mr. Quinn.

Comment

I knew of the Sky Ranch, but only in connection with the Air Races and I had no inkling it was there THAT much earlier, or that there were commercial operations out there.

http://airpigz.com/blog/2014/6/25/vi...no-air-ra.html

Comment

My mistake. I did not read the article fully. The Sky Ranch was well north of town, around 10 miles or more north of town. This is from the original site, Blanch Field, which is now the Washoe County Public Golf Course!

If this was a late model '28 version and the newer Hubbard Field was opened in 1928, perhaps this was a picture taken before they closed the hangar? I don't know yet, I'll propose that question to the local historians.
            Last edited by LeoH; 12-28-2015, 07:37 PM.

Comment

I think that since the Studebaker was considered to be a very high quality, long lasting Car and highly respected back in the late 20's and early 30's, that the U.S. Post Office could have been using that '28 to transport Mail from the Airplane to the Post Office sorting Station.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                I think that since the Studebaker was considered to be a very high quality, long lasting Car and highly respected back in the late 20's and early 30's, that the U.S. Post Office could have been using that '28 to transport Mail from the Airplane to the Post Office sorting Station.
                We'll see what they turn up. It certainly sounds plausible this was the reason.

Comment

I'm glad to see the thread about Studebaker dealers in the US. I went down yesterday to see if I could find anything out about this photo and there wasn't anything added to the original entry for this particular photo in its archive. I'm off to another local history collection and am going to try to connect the face of the person standing next to the airplane with any photos of the local Studebaker dealers. Odds are, the gentleman standing next to the plane is likely Otto or Frank Steinheimer, of Steinheimer Autos, a local Studebaker dealer at the time, but I need to do more verifying.

Comment

Working...
                  X