Gas Gage on Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Gage on Avanti

The gas gage on my Avanti no longer works. I read the shop manual and it says to test the gage itself by hooking it up to a functioning sending unit. Not really an option for me unless I jumper over to the one in the trunk of my Hawk. Bet it is the sending unit in the Avanti any way. What to do? Spend the $85 for a new sending unit and hope for good results?

If you already have the back seat out and the fiberglass panel that is between the seat and the tank, disconnect the wire from the center of the sending unit, locate a known good ground, i.e. bare metal on the frame or better yet the negative post on the battery. Connect those wires together, turn the ignition switch on and watch for movement of the guage. If it moves toward Full, you have either a bad sending unit or a faulty ground of the sending unit. If the guage does not move, use a multi-meter to check for 12volts on the sender wire. If you have 12v, the the guage is probably bad. There are companies listed in Hemmings Motor News under "Serveces Offered" that specialize in repair/restoration and calibration. Hope this helps.

Dan MIller
    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

If you already have the back seat out and the fiberglass panel that is between the seat and the tank, disconnect the wire from the center of the sending unit, locate a known good ground, i.e. bare metal on the frame or better yet the negative post on the battery. Connect those wires together, turn the ignition switch on and watch for movement of the guage. If it moves toward Full, you have either a bad sending unit or a faulty ground of the sending unit. If the guage does not move, use a multi-meter to check for 12volts on the sender wire. If you have 12v, the the guage is probably bad. There are companies listed in Hemmings Motor News under "Serveces Offered" that specialize in repair/restoration and calibration. Hope this helps.

Dan MIller
      Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
      Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

That sounds like it will be very helpful

Comment

That sounds like it will be very helpful

Comment

Working...
          X