Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Eve 1953 from an almost Studebaker dealer....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Eve 1953 from an almost Studebaker dealer....

(Well, OK; he wouldn't be a Studebaker dealer until 18 months later, but you get the idea...)

Dad's prose from the December 22, 1953 Paris [Illinois] Beacon-News:

God willing, Dad will turn 99 years of age April 14, 2016. He is believed to be the last living Packard dealer...unless another one is subsequently confirmed.

Merry Christmas to all. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I do enjoy rereading this every year ! and we pray good health for your father, in reaching this awesome status ! Thats Great

Comment

Originally posted by lark63 View Post
      I do enjoy rereading this every year! and we pray good health for your father, in reaching this awesome status! That's Great.
      Thanks, Bruce; much appreciated.

Here's a photo taken December 5, 2015, less than three weeks ago, that includes Dad:

That's my son Joe next to him, visiting his Grandpa, and Joe's wife Melissa, our lovely daughter-in-law.

Next to Melissa is my Mom who, believe it or not, will herself turn 97(!) March 31, 2016. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Looks like your dad & my friends father have a lot in common. Mr. Kovac (Brians dad) went from being a Kaiser-Willys dealer to Studebaker-Packard in the summer of 55.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Love the poem, Bob! Thanks for sharing...and a very Merry Christmas to you and your kin!
          Mike Davis
          Regional Manager, North Carolina
          1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Merry Christmas!

Your folks don't look their age, and both look like they are doing fine yet. Sure wish my folks could have lived that long.

Comment

Thanks, everyone; the folks are now 96 and 98...and by the time income taxes are due here in the 'states April 15, 2016, they will be 97 and 99.

Again, Merry Christmas to all. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Gee Bob, until now, I thought your "wordsmith capabilities" was a developed talent. This reveals that it is in your DNA!

A great gift indeed!

MERRY CHRISTMAS
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  Gee Bob, until now, I thought your "wordsmith capabilities" was a developed talent. This reveals that it is in your DNA!

A great gift indeed!

MERRY CHRISTMAS
                  Thanks, John, but I guess I got it from both sides; Mom was an English Literature & Composition teacher.

Funny thing about that, though. In 1971, Mom and I were both working on our Masters' Degrees at Butler University in Indianapolis. We had to take the same English course, but we weren't in the same class at the same time; that Professor had more than one section of that class.

Nonetheless, same semester, same course, same teacher, same material, same tests. Even though she had been teaching English off and on for 20-odd years at that point and I had been an Auto Mechanics teacher only two years, I got an "A" in the class and she got a "B"! What a hoot.

Back at you on the Chiristmas greetings; 'hope it was a merry one. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                  X