57 gh 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 gh 400

Anyone ever wonder how many GH 400's got junked out as parts cars because no one knew what they had? Just thinking and I see why the vin numbers are not common information to keep someone from building a fake. But if you where to buy a 57 GH parts car that had the interior gutted and had been repainted or stripped and primed at some point in it's life minus the motor and trans. It would have just been scraped as a old Golden hawk. And you sure wouldn't pay for a build sheet on every parts car. Sad to think.

I know one that fits your description which was parted out ca. 1974. I have yet to see if he still has the serial number of it and run it by BP to confirm that it was indeed a 400.

Craig

Comment

This is as close as I'll ever get to one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	57 golden hawk 400a.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1703086
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

At this point, I would hope all Golden Hawks would be saved, no matter how deplorable the condition is. I am looking for a 57-58 Golden Hawk parts car-basket case myself. Hopefully, some more 400s will show up unexpectedly
        My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
        sigpic
        Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
        in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

I've been keeping an eye on a Gold/White fins '57 Golden Hawk that's been sitting outside next to a garage for at least the past six years. The car is sitting on dirt within inches of an old frame garage that's been gradually leaning toward the Hawk. Each time it rains, water pours off the roof of the garage on the Hawk, creating mud underneath. When the frame hits the mud, it will be all over, I'm afraid. When approached, the owner claimed he had lost storage but would soon get it inside; that was five years ago, and the car hasn't moved. He refused to sell it. It's a shame, since it's a real straight, complete car that was pretty decent when he parked it. I wish the owner would sell it to someone who would bring it back (not me--I've already got too many projects). But he's not real friendly to offers to buy the car. And he is--or at least was--an SDC member. 'Hope things change soon, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

George
          george krem

Comment

You're probably right, George; though one never can tell. I drove my '53 daily for eleven years, then parked it next to the house when I got a company car. It would be twenty years before I got it in to the shop; and another nine before it was on the road again.

But...you're probably right!
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
              Anyone ever wonder how many GH 400's got junked out as parts cars because no one knew what they had? Just thinking and I see why the vin numbers are not common information to keep someone from building a fake. But if you where to buy a 57 GH parts car that had the interior gutted and had been repainted or stripped and primed at some point in it's life minus the motor and trans. It would have just been scraped as a old Golden hawk. And you sure wouldn't pay for a build sheet on every parts car. Sad to think.
              You wouldn't have to pay for a build sheet to check out a particular 1957 Golden Hawk. The Serial Numbers are known and there has been an offer to check out a suspect car, just not to publicize the list.

When this comes up, I think of a ratty but driveable 1957 Golden Hawk in Connecticut in the early 1970s. At that time, we all just thought that it was a 1957 Golden Hawk that someone had installed a Packard Hawk interior in.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I once ran across a 57 GH... never forget it to this day...... in 1962 .... sitting on top of another car in a scrap yard...... gun metal grey exterior, white leather interior and from the looks, was from a 55 speedster. Power seats & windows, steering, automatic. very nice, new looking engine. and it had slid sideways into a telephone pole... with less damage than I'd think it should have been totaled for... . I bought the engine to put into a 57 Silver Hawk...
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                  I once ran across a 57 GH... never forget it to this day...... in 1962 .... sitting on top of another car in a scrap yard...... gun metal grey exterior, white leather interior and from the looks, was from a 55 speedster. Power seats & windows, steering, automatic. very nice, new looking engine. and it had slid sideways into a telephone pole... with less damage than I'd think it should have been totaled for... . I bought the engine to put into a 57 Silver Hawk...
                  This reminds me of something similar from the 1960s. There was a local 47K mile 1957 Golden Hawk that got totaled out. Before I could get it, someone else bought it and put the engine into his 1955 Commander coupe. In short order (IIRC, within the month), he ran into a bridge abutment. I bought the car/engine and put the engine into one of the 1953 Commander Starliners that I have owned (kept it for nine years). Being unable to sell it, I somewhat parted it out and took the remains to a local junk yard.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Studeous View Post
                    At this point, I would hope all Golden Hawks would be saved, no matter how deplorable the condition is. I am looking for a 57-58 Golden Hawk parts car-basket case myself. Hopefully, some more 400s will show up unexpectedly
                    Sorry, saw this thread and just had to chime in. We have a 57 GH that was outfitted completely as a 400, done at the factory but after it came off the production line, like 3 months afterwards. But before the production 400's. It's been agreed that it was done at South Bend but how it came to be is the big question.I'm still waiting to get that in writing.

Here's the other thread for it.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?89712-Also-a-new-1957-Golden-Hawk-Owner-but-a-400-Hope-so

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4289.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1703091Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4286.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1703092Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4279.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1703093

Comment

Mark. Even with the aged interior you have one great looking car. The leather seats make the car. Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve. I agree the leather interior, even with it's aged patina, makes the Hawk something special. If I'm ever able to restore it, really conflicted whether to keep the original or put in a new interior from S.E. Studebaker. If this is indeed the first leather interior sold that makes a great argument to keep it intact.

Comment

Working...
                        X