Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for advise on a potential 50 STUDEBAKER truck purchase!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advise on a potential 50 STUDEBAKER truck purchase!

I wanted to get some input on this rig that Im thinking of buying. Its suppose to be a 1950 but the title is missing and the seller is trying to get one.

Rusty cab corners (Im wondering if thats normal on these rigs? Also some rust in the steps leading into the cab and both fenders along the edges towards the doors. Its actually pretty straight and comes with an extra front clip, (pictured) and an extra bed.

It also has a mustang 2 from an old mustang 2 in it/ tacked in, not a new after market one.

Im not sure if anything is available for these trucks to repair it, like the cab corners or if I will need to fab them or look for a parts rig?

No motor or trans with this rig and will I be hated if I use a MOPAR drivetrain? I want a modern drive train and I gave been a life long mopar muscle car guy who just sold his last cuda to build a few rods.

Any assistance is appreciated or advise before buying it.

RUMBLON

Most of what you describe is being produced for restorations:
    http://www.classicent.com/studebaker/pickups/c-cab

No one will bat an eye (in the Studebaker community, anyway) for using whatever drivetrain is available to get that rig on the road for all to enjoy. Stock or modified, we love 'em all!
    Andy
    62 GT

Comment

Since it has no engine now I'd think any Studebaker guy would agree that getting it back on the road is the main thing.

Does that 1956 Evinrude come with it?

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
        Since it has no engine now I'd think any Studebaker guy would agree that getting it back on the road is the main thing.

Does that 1956 Evinrude come with it?
        I can always ask for the boat motor.

I am thinking a new rack and pinion mustang II front end, maybe fatman and a 5.7 junk yard HEMI. I figure that will make it a nice driver. I may or may not even paint it. I moved from Nevada to 175 acres in Idaho and its 7 miles of gravel road to my house. Just sold a cuda convertible since I cant keep it here and im tired of muscle cars, so this may get no paint, or a old gas station logo or ranch logo and fresh drive train or I may just end up painting it and having to haul it in and out of here in an enclose trailer. I kinda like the roached out patina trucks.

BY THE WAY I keep seeing different series or letters for these trucks. any idea what series this truck is?

RUMBLON

Comment

Make sure you fit in the cab
          , ,

Comment

Originally posted by RUMBLON View Post
            I can always ask for the boat motor.

BY THE WAY I keep seeing different series or letters for these trucks. any idea what series this truck is?

RUMBLON
            The truck is a 2R 49-53 model. The body style is referred to as a C cab.
            sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              Make sure you fit in the cab
              I kinda thought it may be a little tight but since the doors were blocked I could not get it. Im 602 235 so I hope I fit.

Comment

Originally posted by RUMBLON View Post
                I kinda thought it may be a little tight but since the doors were blocked I could not get it. Im 602 235 so I hope I fit.

I'm 6'4" and was 235 lbs. and I drove one for years.

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  The truck is a 2R 49-53 model. The body style is referred to as a C cab.
                  Specifically, a 2R5 or (less likely) 2R6 with a 112" wheelbase. The 2R5 came with a 170 cu in Champion 6. The rear axle is likely to be a Dana 44, which is pretty bullet-proof. Bolt pattern is 5 x 5", the same as Chevy and GMC 1/2-ton pickups.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMSeymour View Post
                    I'm 6'4" and was 235 lbs. and I drove one for years.
                    Most old trucks were designed back when the average guy was 5'6" and 140#. They're all small by today's standards, more akin to the compact trucks than today's full-size. One has to decide the beauty of the C-cab style is worth the cramped cabin. I'm only slightly smaller than John, have driven C-cabs for the past fifty years and they're certainly not a comfortable fit for big guys. The shortage of right leg room between the foot feed and the H-point cocks the right ankle at a painful angle. I finally added cruise control to be able to put in time on freeways.

So, yes, the C-cab is worth the compromises.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Has anyone here used a mopar drive train? Looking for advise. This rig has an old mustang II under it already, no idea if its done correctly or not. Most mopar guys are using dakota frames and drive trains for older rigs now. They have it down to a science.

Comment

As far as fittin' yer carcass in the truck, since you're putting in a brand X drivetrain and are going to be driving it regularly, there shouldn't be an issue with you finding a newer seat to fit in there likely give yourself a little more sittin' room. Just sayin'.

Comment

Try asking on the Tech Talk page about the drivetrain. I have heard of a few folks putting in Mopar power, more than I've ever heard talk about putting in a Ford engine, fwiw. Also, there's a Studebaker truck group, you may get some answers there. Sometimes they take their time answering though, fyi...http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885

Comment

As far as fittin' yer carcass in the truck, since you're putting in a brand X drivetrain and are going to be driving it regularly, there shouldn't be an issue with you finding a newer seat to fit in there likely give yourself a little more sittin' room.  Just sayin'. Also, if you're on Facebook, they have a Studebaker Addicts FB page who've been helpful for some questions and there's always the jalopyjournal message board. They have a fair number of Studebaker owners there, you may get some answers there, as well: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Comment

In one of the last C-Cab I built, I used a Volare clip with a 360 and 727. I did redesign the engine stands a little to move the engine back as close as I could to the firewall to have as much radiator and fan as I could. It worked out really well. The Volare clip already has power steering and disc brakes. They also ride really nice. It was cheap and easy to do. My buddy has a 51 that they he did the same thing but with a 318. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00716.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1703062
                              49 2r17
                              57 transtar
                              59 transtar

Comment

Working...
                              X