good deal on lower control bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good deal on lower control bushings

I just picked up some lower control arm bushing from NAPA. and it said each so I ordered two. Well when I opened the box there where two per box. My cost was $15.93 per box for a total of $31.86 for enough to do both sides. Less than half what SI want for a set. I think they fit several years to. With the uppers that I got from O'rileys I ended up with about $50 for both sides top and bottom. NAPA part number 267-3202
    Last edited by swvalcon; 12-11-2015, 02:35 PM.

When you need a Power Steering Hose, Windshield Wiper ARM, a Door Handle, a New Full flow Oil Filter Adapter, a ??????????? and you have driven the Studebaker Vendors out of business, will NAPA be there for you?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

StudeRich I'am not saying for anyone not to buy from SI I'am just saying for the CASO there are some other options and I'am sure the parts stores that I got these parts from made enough profit to justify selling them.

Comment

I agree with StudeRich about the need for parts that are only available from S.I. However, when the price difference for a part from S.I. is so much higher than National Auto Parts Supply it becomes an issue of semantics. Many of us are on a tight budget. We save when we can. Most of the NAPA replacement parts for our Studebakers are made in Japan but so are some of the same parts from S.I. Why the enormous mark-up? I don't object to supporting our vendors but fairer pricing for us members should be a priority. If the prices were compatible I'm sure most of us would buy from S.I.

Comment

I would think now that this has been pointed out a correction on pricing would be made.
          If they are readily available then maybe now S.I will also be able to purchase them and sell them cheaper.
          I doubt very seriously that they grossly mark up their products.

Dean.

Comment

Both of the bushings that I got from O'rileys and Napa where made in Mexico. which I much prefer over China. I got some from Rockauto that where from china that I ordered just because they where dirt cheap so I would have some uppers on the shelve they where only$4. each so you know what i got there.

Comment

Another thing that many do not understand, is that these and most Mechanical Parts that ALL of the Studebaker Vendors Large and Small, Sell come from the Studebaker Wholesaler able to purchase in large enough quantities which is the ONLY thing that makes the Parts available at all, so there has to be a double Markup for all to survive and keep supplying us with much needed Parts to keep our Cars on the Road.

Remember, all is not about just one major Vendor, so do not blame them for everything, but all need to profit, or ALL fail.

This is not unusual in the Retail Marketplace, most all of the household items, Food and other Misc. items you buy do not come Directly from the Mfg. they come from a Middleman Warehouse or Supplier and get marked up as they go due to; storage, shipping, overhead and Profit at each.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 12-12-2015, 05:37 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If the S.I. part is twice as dear, there is a good chance they are purchasing through a different supplier chain than O'Rileys or NAPA. I don't believe S.I. or any other Studebaker parts vendor would mark a part up 2 times or more. And there may be a good reason why they source these elsewhere. Perhaps there has been a quality issue? There is always a reason.....

Chris.

Comment

In my opinion---- Todays rubber is not as good as what we had in the original parts. I would hate to go to all the work to install a set of bushings and have them fail in a few years. I would prefer to buy from vendors I have bought from in the past knowing their parts are good quality. I am not saying those mentioned are bad quality, just that I would not want to go thru all that work and then find my few buck saving caused a failure earlier than hoped.

That said, I still have NOS bushings for my own use and prefer them over the new ones (I know others do not agree with me on this)
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
                    In my opinion---- Todays rubber is not as good as what we had in the original parts. I would hate to go to all the work to install a set of bushings and have them fail in a few years. I would prefer to buy from vendors I have bought from in the past knowing their parts are good quality. I am not saying those mentioned are bad quality, just that I would not want to go thru all that work and then find my few buck saving caused a failure earlier than hoped.

That said, I still have NOS bushings for my own use and prefer them over the new ones (I know others do not agree with me on this)
                    But,

If you had to buy them what would you do.....

Dean.

PS,
                    just like tires that rubber has a shelf life.

Comment

Some of mine have cracks in the rubber from age, those I do not use. If they have no cracks in the rubber then I think the rubber is actually better than todays supposed rubber. But that is my opinion. I would still buy NOS ones that look good. If the rubber was stored in cool then it will most likely be good. If it was stored in heat then it may well be bad.

And I still have a set of allstate tires on my 50 commander which look real good. I am smart enough to know that I would not go a distance on them but for local use I think they will outlive multiple sets of todays tires

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                      But,

If you had to buy them what would you do.....

Dean.

PS,
                      just like tires that rubber has a shelf life.
                      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                      1961 Hawk 4-speed
                      1967 Avanti
                      1961 Lark 2 door
                      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Is that a 63 Hawk you got these for? Im about to order for my 63 Hawk, that would be good to know? Thanks.

Comment

Then there is the freight, i live in the most eastery part of North America, usually freight from SI to me is is pricey, then there’s customs and duty. With NAPA a five minute drive away and no additional charges on a part that retails cheaper, its a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianC View Post
                            Then there is the freight, i live in the most eastery part of North America, usually freight from SI to me is is pricey, then there’s customs and duty. With NAPA a five minute drive away and no additional charges on a part that retails cheaper, its a no brainer.
                            Freight charges, no kidding. A catalog from SI cost me $15 in freight to California. I can't imagine what they might charge for shipping on parts.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X