Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear defroster unit

Hello,

I noticed that Studebaker produced a rear defroster kit for their cars (1955 and older). However, what I would like to know is if they produced a rear defroster kit for the lark models. To be more specific the 1961 lark series. If they did, could anyone tell me what the AC# would be or as to where I could aquire one.

Thank you
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

If they exist they would be so rare, hard to find and expensive that you would be better off making one from a heater fan motor or if J.C. Whitney still sells their aftermarket one, it would be a way to go.

I find if you keep the right air vent(handle on right of dash) open at all times and the air inlet box in front of the windshield clean of leaves etc. that when moving slow you can use high fan and Def. mode and when on going over 50 the air flow, to clear all windows except under the worst high humidity conditions or with a full load of passengers.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If they exist they would be so rare, hard to find and expensive that you would be better off making one from a heater fan motor or if J.C. Whitney still sells their aftermarket one, it would be a way to go.

I find if you keep the right air vent(handle on right of dash) open at all times and the air inlet box in front of the windshield clean of leaves etc. that when moving slow you can use high fan and Def. mode and when on going over 50 the air flow, to clear all windows except under the worst high humidity conditions or with a full load of passengers.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

ISTR that old Dodge Darts had a similar accessory defroster available, but I've never actually seen one of those either.

I'm not sure what year it started but I believe the state of NY requires rear defrosters on all cars sold new in NY.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

ISTR that old Dodge Darts had a similar accessory defroster available, but I've never actually seen one of those either.

I'm not sure what year it started but I believe the state of NY requires rear defrosters on all cars sold new in NY.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

That's a great question! I sure don't know why they quit offering that device, but they did.
            You should try one of the clear overlays with heated elements. I put one in a '63 years ago and it worked great.

Dwain G.

Comment

That's a great question! I sure don't know why they quit offering that device, but they did.
              You should try one of the clear overlays with heated elements. I put one in a '63 years ago and it worked great.

Dwain G.

Comment

I stumbled onto a couple of Stude kits (Factory kits!) when I bought a 54 Champion a few years ago. Had templates for installation and everything! Sold both kits on ebay.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I stumbled onto a couple of Stude kits (Factory kits!) when I bought a 54 Champion a few years ago. Had templates for installation and everything! Sold both kits on ebay.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I found this topic quite interesting as I just put a rear defroster on e-bay for a friend of mine.This 6 volt unit could easily be used on a later 12 volt car by using a step down transformer or change the motor to a 12 volt. It has a nice grill that covers it in the back window.

Comment

I found this topic quite interesting as I just put a rear defroster on e-bay for a friend of mine.This 6 volt unit could easily be used on a later 12 volt car by using a step down transformer or change the motor to a 12 volt. It has a nice grill that covers it in the back window.

Comment

Jim great to see that you joined the forum !!!!

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
                        58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
                        58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
                        62 Daytona (White)
                        63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

Comment

Jim great to see that you joined the forum !!!!

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
                          58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
                          58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
                          62 Daytona (White)
                          63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

Comment

Working...
                          X