X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    That does NOT apply if you have Scottish blood! The $40 prevention is easier to handle than the $400 fix!!

Craig
    Try to convince the "thrifty one" of that some time.

Leave a comment:

• evilhawk
    replied
    I had a Honda Delsol for 1 week before the manual trans grenaded all over Interstate 94. The car was supposedly kept up by the previous owner and had low miles 126k. I never bought another Honda again. Prior to this car I had an accord that blew a head gasket and left me stranded out in the middle of nowhere without a phone. Fun times.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
    No point in fixing it until you do enough damage to make it worth your time to tear it down. LOL
    That does NOT apply if you have Scottish blood! The $40 prevention is easier to handle than the $400 fix!!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• spokejr
    replied
    Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
    No point in fixing it until you do enough damage to make it worth your time to tear it down. LOL
    Now THATS funny!

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Restobaker
    replied
    The car was on the highway when the timing belt broke the first time. we replaced the belt and got the car running but it had a heavy miss and lose of power. After we did a compression test it was found the car had a vent valve. The gentlemen was advised of this but wanted to drive the car until he got the funds to replace the head. Two week later he calls me and says it lost all power and wont run. When I arrive to his house the car is running a but barley. he drives it to my house smoking and clattering I told him its done but ill pull the head to see if I could still fix it. After pulling the head we found the busted valve.

Leave a comment:

• wittsend
    replied
    Maybe the belt skipped a tooth rather than broke? Otherwise the car could not have run with a broken belt. My nephew had a Honda CRX. He was pretty much idling through a parking lot and all the teeth stripped off at the bottom of the belt at the lower pulley. It immediately stopped. Ironically I just checked and his engine was an interference engine. Regardless I just replaced the belt and the car ran fine. One in a million?

BTW, I was poking fun at the Climate Change and Made in the USA threads many of us have participated in - I hadn't intended to give you a hard time about posting in "specifics."

Leave a comment:

• Restobaker
    replied
    Originally posted by wittsend View Post
    Typically it is (or has been) 60,000 miles. However, California has some clause where new cars need to to go 100,000 miles before such service. At least on my 2000 Mazda Protege, 1.6 (non-interference thankfully) if it is a 49 state car the interval is 60,000 miles. If it is a California car it is 105,000 miles. Ironically it is the very same belt with two difference change intervals. So, it kind of begs the question do the other 49 stated really need to change the belt so frequently... - or are California cars pushing it to the extreme limit - with risks? Most belts are made off-shore (not USA made) and they are subject to climate change effects. Oh..., wait..., that's right this thread originated in the wrong section.

BTW, while we can only see the three first cylinders I see no strikes on the intake side. And the damage looks to be beyond just bending a valve. It looks more like a piston melt down. Given that the engine would have stopped nearly immediately I would expect to see sharp edged breakage on the piston.

The car drove to my house on three cylinders. its not locked up by any means. when I pulled the head off I found pieces of the valve that broke.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Restobaker
    replied
    Most belts are made off-shore (not USA made) and they are subject to climate change effects. Oh..., wait..., that's right this thread originated in the wrong section.
    no one ever accused me of being the sharpest tool in the shed ...

Leave a comment:

• wittsend
    replied
    Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
    Almost all modern engines have a recommended mileage for a new timing belt.
    Typically it is (or has been) 60,000 miles. However, California has some clause where new cars need to to go 100,000 miles before such service. At least on my 2000 Mazda Protege, 1.6 (non-interference thankfully) if it is a 49 state car the interval is 60,000 miles. If it is a California car it is 105,000 miles. Ironically it is the very same belt with two difference change intervals. So, it kind of begs the question do the other 49 stated really need to change the belt so frequently... - or are California cars pushing it to the extreme limit - with risks? Most belts are made off-shore (not USA made) and they are subject to climate change effects. Oh..., wait..., that's right this thread originated in the wrong section.

BTW, while we can only see the three first cylinders I see no strikes on the intake side. And the damage looks to be beyond just bending a valve. It looks more like a piston melt down. Given that the engine would have stopped nearly immediately I would expect to see sharp edged breakage on the piston.

Leave a comment:

• wittsend
    replied
    Almost all modern engines have a recommended mileage for a new timing belt.
    Typically it is (or has been) 60,000 miles. However, California has some clause where new cars need to to go 100,000 miles before such service. At least on my 2000 Mazda Protege, 1.6 (non-interference thankfully) if it is a 49 state car the interval is 60,000 miles. If it is a California car it is 105,000 miles. Ironically it is the very same belt with two difference change intervals. So, it kind of begs the question do the other 49 stated really need to change the belt so frequently... - or are California cars pushing it to the extreme limit - with risks?

Most belts are made off-shore (not USA made) and they are subject to climate change effects. Oh..., wait..., that's right this thread originated in the wrong section.

Leave a comment:

• Lou Van Anne
    replied
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]49960[/ATTACH].........
    I looked, but didn't see any grease zerks?

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bearings-muffler.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1701744.........

Leave a comment:

• BILT4ME
    replied
    The blinker fluid leaked out of my right front turn signal on my 59 Lark. Now it only comes on every so often.

On.........off...........on..........off...........on.............off. It's pretty consistent on timing though.

Leave a comment:

• alex54
    replied
    Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
    ....you ought to try finding the muffler belts!
    Here you go.
    But this is for side exhausts. Standard rear exhaust would need to be modified slightly.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X