Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12V 1955 Studebaker?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 12V 1955 Studebaker?

    A gentleman on the AACA forum advertised a 12V, clock for a 1955 Studebaker. I tried to correct him by indicating that 55's were 6V. The clock that was shown was the one used from 1953-55. He has stuck to his guns that it is in fact a 12V 1955 clock and that they made some late 55's with twelve volts. He says that clearly stamped on the back of the clock is 12V. In fifty five years of owning 1955's (owned about twenty five of them) I have never seen a 12V car. Have I miss something, and did they build some 12V 55's, or did they use a 12V version of that clock in later model cars?

  • #2
    Studebaker SHOULD have equipped their 1955 passenger cars with a 12V electrical system, but unfortunately they didn't!

    (The 6V clock will work on either though!)

    Comment


    • #3
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

      Comment


      • #4
        SN-60, The 6 volt clock will work on 12 volts? That's good to know. I would like to put one in my '54 with 12 volt conversion.
        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
          A gentleman on the AACA forum advertised a 12V, clock for a 1955 Studebaker. I tried to correct him by indicating that 55's were 6V. The clock that was shown was the one used from 1953-55. He has stuck to his guns that it is in fact a 12V 1955 clock and that they made some late 55's with twelve volts. He says that clearly stamped on the back of the clock is 12V. In fifty five years of owning 1955's (owned about twenty five of them) I have never seen a 12V car. Have I miss something, and did they build some 12V 55's, or did they use a 12V version of that clock in later model cars?
          You haven't missed anything, Bill; there were no 1955 model year production Studebaker automobiles built with 12-volt, negative-ground electrical systems. The changes were too extensive going to 12-volt, negative ground for 1956 to have built and released for retail sale, any late '55s that way.

          It stands to reason there were undoubtedly a few engineering prototypes running around South Bend that were 1955 model year cars with tentative 12-volt, negative ground electrical systems for developmental work, but that doesn't make them production cars any more than a couple 1959 Lark Regal hardtop prototype convertibles that undoubtedly existed as the 1960 convertible was being readied for introduction/production as a 1960 model year car. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

          Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

          G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            It stands to reason there were undoubtedly a few engineering prototypes running around South Bend that were 1955 model year cars with tentative 12-volt, negative ground electrical systems for developmental work, but that doesn't make them production cars any more than a couple 1959 Lark Regal hardtop prototype convertibles that undoubtedly existed as the 1960 convertible was readied for introduction/production as a 1960 model year car.
            To bad Earle Haley is no longer with us. I have no doubt in my mind he would have been the one who could answer that.

            Craig

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              To bad Earle Haley is no longer with us. I have no doubt in my mind he would have been the one who could answer that. Craig
              'Probably not, Craig; I believe Earle left Studebaker during staff downsizing in either 1953 or 1954. I don't believe he was around when the 1956 electrical system was being developed. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

              Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

              G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                'Probably not, Craig; I believe Earle left Studebaker during staff downsizing in either 1953 or 1954. I don't believe he was around when the 1956 electrical system was being developed. BP
                At the International Meet in 1988, I had a good, long chat with Earle, where he commented at great length on the mid-1955 redesign with the Ultra-Vista windshield on the sedans more than anything else. Therefore, I suspect he must have lasted at least a year later. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...debaker-Driver

                Craig
                Last edited by 8E45E; 12-01-2015, 05:30 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  At the International Meet in 1988, I had a good. long chat with Earle, where commented at great length on the mid-1955 redesign with the Ultra-Vista windshield on the sedans more than anything else. Therefore, I suspect he must have lasted at least a year later. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...debaker-Driver Craig
                  Cool beans, Craig. I'll e-mail Milt Yoder and see if he remembers when Earle left Studebaker's employ. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

                  Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

                  G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Craig. I'll e-mail Milt Yoder and see if he remembers when Earle left Studebaker's employ.
                    Thanks, Bob. If he did leave in 1954, he certainly held no hard feelings against Studebaker over being 'let go', if that is the case.

                    Craig

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Back to the issue at hand...

                      Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                      A gentleman on the AACA forum advertised a 12V, clock for a 1955 Studebaker. I tried to correct him by indicating that 55's were 6V. The clock that was shown was the one used from 1953-55./Cut/
                      OK, here is a problem, a '53-'54 Clock is Round, a '55 is a small Rectangular one, they are not the same.
                      So which is it? Still doesn't solve the mystery though, they are both 6 Volt and none were 12 Volt.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        OK, here is a problem, a '53-'54 Clock is Round, a '55 is a small Rectangular one, they are not the same.
                        Isn't the clock on a '53-'54 Champion rectangular?

                        Craig

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          Isn't the clock on a '53-'54 Champion rectangular?Craig
                          Does anyone ACTUALLY OWN a Champion Six?

                          Yes Craig you are right of course, a Six just never entered my preferential mind! I guess they could have used a similar or same Clock as a '53-'54 Champion in all 55's ordered with a Clock.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 12-01-2015, 07:00 AM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                            SN-60, The 6 volt clock will work on 12 volts? That's good to know. I would like to put one in my '54 with 12 volt conversion.
                            Yes, that '55 6V clock action will be perfectly happy resetting itself on 12V!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Rich,

                              The rectangular clock used in the earlier Champ is identical to the one used in the 55's, including the Speedster. I have a NOS clock dated 1953 in my Speedster, and it's identical to the one that I took out.

                              Thanks guys for verifying what I thought I knew. I still think that one of the reasons that Studebaker kept their production line going for such an extended period of time in 1955 was to try to rid themselves of much of the oversupply of 1955 parts that wouldn't transition into the new 1956. This would have include all of the previous year's electrical components.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X