Studebaker Automotive Society?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Automotive Society?

I was recently reading an old (1981) book on restoring old cars. The appendix listed car clubs, both general and specialized. Under Studebaker there were the familiar Studebaker Drivers Club and the Antique Studebaker Club, but also listed were the Studebaker Automotive Society (headquartered in Ridgefield CT) and the Studebaker Automobile Club of America, headquartered in Hemet CA. I had never heard of these groups. I did a Google search and couldn't find any trace of them. Don't misunderstand, I'm not looking for some alternative to this group, whose members have been very helpful to me, and whose magazine, Turning Wheels, is top-notch. I just wonder what became of them. Are they still out there? Are they some sort of fundamentalist Studebaker splinter groups?

1950 Champion
    Holdrege NE
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Sometime in the 1970's I tried to join the Studebaker Automobile Society but the address I had was apparently incorrect and my letter was returned. I was a member of the Studebaker Automobile Club of America (as I know Mr. Biggs was too) and at one time I was the District Governor of Virginia (whatever that meant). I still have several years worth of the magazines and I think some stationary from my "official" days. I think that I let my membership lapse around 1980 or so and I guess they folded after that. As I recall, at one time they had a couple of thousand members, but it was more of a west coast based club.

Comment

Sometime in the 1970's I tried to join the Studebaker Automobile Society but the address I had was apparently incorrect and my letter was returned. I was a member of the Studebaker Automobile Club of America (as I know Mr. Biggs was too) and at one time I was the District Governor of Virginia (whatever that meant). I still have several years worth of the magazines and I think some stationary from my "official" days. I think that I let my membership lapse around 1980 or so and I guess they folded after that. As I recall, at one time they had a couple of thousand members, but it was more of a west coast based club.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido
        I was a member of the Studebaker Automobile Club of America (as I know Mr. Biggs was too) and at one time I was the District Governor of Virginia (whatever that meant).
        Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"
        I have always thought that you were the "Honorable Member from Virginia"[]

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar
        3E-6/7-122
        </h5>

Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

I was a member of the Studebaker Automobile Club of America (as I know Mr. Biggs was too) and at one time I was the District Governor of Virginia (whatever that meant).
          Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"
          I have always thought that you were the "Honorable Member from Virginia"[]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar
          3E-6/7-122
          </h5>

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Sometime in the 1970's I tried to join the Studebaker Automobile Society but the address I had was apparently incorrect and my letter was returned. I think that I let my membership lapse around 1980 or so and I guess they folded after that.
            It appears they merged with SDC. Here is one of my older membership cards from the early 90's showing SAS.

Craig

Comment

Sometime in the 1970's I tried to join the Studebaker Automobile Society but the address I had was apparently incorrect and my letter was returned. I think that I let my membership lapse around 1980 or so and I guess they folded after that.
              It appears they merged with SDC. Here is one of my older membership cards from the early 90's showing SAS.

Craig

Comment

I believe that the Studebaker Automotive Society was started by Asa Hall in the late sixties when he had a disagreement with Harry Barnes. The organization was short lived.

The Studebaker Owners Club of America (SOCA) was started by Paul Gunder in Southern California when he had a rift with Fred Fox. SOCA actually had a couple of thousand members throughout the United States, but mostly in California. Although it was called a "merger, this club really became part of SDC around 1976 after Gunder decided that SDC wasn't so bad afterall.

SOCA's newsletter editor, Ken Keesler, of Hemet, California wasn't happy about the disbandment of the SOCA. He formed his own club which he called the "Studebaker Automobile Club of America". This club was short lived and both SACA and Keesler soon disappeared.

Ed Reynolds

Comment

I believe that the Studebaker Automotive Society was started by Asa Hall in the late sixties when he had a disagreement with Harry Barnes. The organization was short lived.

The Studebaker Owners Club of America (SOCA) was started by Paul Gunder in Southern California when he had a rift with Fred Fox. SOCA actually had a couple of thousand members throughout the United States, but mostly in California. Although it was called a "merger, this club really became part of SDC around 1976 after Gunder decided that SDC wasn't so bad afterall.

SOCA's newsletter editor, Ken Keesler, of Hemet, California wasn't happy about the disbandment of the SOCA. He formed his own club which he called the "Studebaker Automobile Club of America". This club was short lived and both SACA and Keesler soon disappeared.

Ed Reynolds

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stratovue

Ed Reynolds
                    Ed,

Ken was affiliated with the Studebaker Automobile Club of America and they were still in operation as late as April, 1978 as I have a news bulletin from that month.

Gary

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stratovue

Ed Reynolds
                      Ed,

Ken was affiliated with the Studebaker Automobile Club of America and they were still in operation as late as April, 1978 as I have a news bulletin from that month.

Gary

Comment

Thanks Ed, for updating the rumors to reality for us!

If you remember; I, Ray McLaughlin and Chuck Potter were among the "renegades" (bad term because we weren't unhappy!) who were Charter Lifetime Members of SOCA (actually the entire West Coast (except OEC,and Fred's Chapter), Hawaii and Australia were supposedly "picked up" by Paul and SOCA!) and Paul promised me a Lifetime SDC membership, which for some reason never happened, so I never knew if it was really authorized in the "merger" (absorbing) of SOCA or not! [:0]

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Ed, for updating the rumors to reality for us!

If you remember; I, Ray McLaughlin and Chuck Potter were among the "renegades" (bad term because we weren't unhappy!) who were Charter Lifetime Members of SOCA (actually the entire West Coast (except OEC,and Fred's Chapter), Hawaii and Australia were supposedly "picked up" by Paul and SOCA!) and Paul promised me a Lifetime SDC membership, which for some reason never happened, so I never knew if it was really authorized in the "merger" (absorbing) of SOCA or not! [:0]

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the history lesson, guys!
                            John
                            1950 Champion
                            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan