• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	1019151123a.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1701639Now, to stir the pot, here's original 17,000 mile engine paint that's sat uncovered inside a Shop for 44 years. The fading is more apparent on the lower side of the crank pulley. I'm told it was a repaint, however the original owners wife, from whom I bought the car (83 years old), said that nothing was ever repainted on anything. I tend to believe that the original Studebaker paint wore badly over the years...whether exposed or not. Keep in mind that these engines are upwards of 60 years old. Whatever SI sells me for the "correct" engine color is what I'm going with...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]49744[/ATTACH]Now, to stir the pot, here's original 17,000 mile engine paint that's sat uncovered inside a Shop for 44 years. The fading is more apparent on the lower side of the crank pulley. I'm told it was a repaint, however the original owners wife, from whom I bought the car (83 years old), said that nothing was ever repainted on anything. I tend to believe that the original Studebaker paint wore badly over the years...whether exposed or not. Keep in mind that these engines are upwards of 60 years old. Whatever SI sells me for the "correct" engine color is what I'm going with...
      That engine has indeed been painted after it left the factory.......but take a close look at the color on the cylinder head...... under the left rocker cover, by the intake manifold...........

Comment

I'm going through the same color match issue with 65 valve cover yellow. I appreciate your detail SN-60.

Comment

Yep Tony; I agree with SN60, your Engine has had work done and been repainted, it's too bright and fresh looking for Original.
          That is a good thing because someone probably way back in the '70's maybe before the last owner's memory had it Rebuilt, Overhauled, Valves Ground, re-Sealed or just a touch up done.
          They sure didn't do much to the Engine compartment though!

Did you check your Right lower corner of the Brake Pedal for more than 17,000 miles of wear, check for Lube stickers of over that mileage indicating a Speedometer replacement or roll-over?

I also agree that my photo from an eBay Car of a restored Car, has too much Flash which brightened the Color too much losing a little green, but I still see more green than blue.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

STUDERICH - Here's a picture of the clutch and brake pedals. What's your opinion?...and I have NO idea what the white splatter marks on the steering wheel, horn button and dash are...
            Attached Files

Comment

That dash looks great and uncluttered as it is; especially the condition of the engine-turned facing. Aside from putting the radio back in where it belongs, I would not add anymore gauges.

Craig

Comment

I've GOT to have a Tach... I plan on moving the clock to the spot in between the radio and glove box door...there's a spot there for it...

Comment

OH, Oh, the Forum is doing it's "I won't open and enlarge the JPG's anymore" thing.

If they look really GOOD in person or in a Larger Pic, they could be NEW Replacement NOS Pedals that ARE Available.

In that small Pic it appears that you have a Green Dash and Steering Wheel, like '59-'61 Hawks had available. If that is true (can't tell) it's a "Updated", Repaired, Restored, or Modified" Car take your pick.

The '56 and '57's were all Black with Bone Color (Off White Wheels) , like this '56 Hawk:

Name:	GH_Solid Black5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1701667
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 11-28-2015, 03:21 PM.
                  StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    OH, Oh, the Forum is doing it's "I won't open and enlarge the JPG's anymore" thing.

If they look really GOOD in person or in a Larger Pic, they could be NEW Replacement NOS Pedals that ARE Available.

In that small Pic it appears that you have a Green Dash and Steering Wheel, like '59-'61 Hawks had available. If that is true (can't tell) it's a "Updated", Repaired, Restored, or Modified" Car take your pick.

The '56 and '57's were all Black with Bone Color (Off White Wheels) , like this '56 Hawk:
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]49793[/ATTACH]
                    I might add with the exception of the Golden Hawk 400 which had a tan garnish moldings to go with the Russet Tan leather and headliner.

Name:	Hawk 400 postcard back10252015_0000.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1701673

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                      I've GOT to have a Tach... I plan on moving the clock to the spot in between the radio and glove box door...there's a spot there for it...
                      What Craig probably means is that EVERYONE, years ago, HAD to have the tach-clock layout you describe,....consequently, there aren't many 'unbutchered' dash panels like yours left!!...I agree to leave it as is......It's a RARITY!!!
                      Last edited by SN-60; 11-29-2015, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Post #20.
                        Does the windshield have a green tint ?
                        The light appears to be through the windshield which gives a tint to the top of the dashboard and to areas on the steering wheel and chrome ?
                        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	170174355 56 PREZ 4D - The entire car is covered with a thick layer of "dust"(?), of undetermined origon...it sat in a shop for 40+ years...or it might be the camera that took the picture....
                          Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 12-07-2015, 10:15 AM.

Comment

It COULD have Green Tinted Glass and probably does, but the real question is: do YOU see a Green rather than Black Dash when looking at the Car?
                            StudeRich

Comment

Uuhhh... I'm color blind... for REAL...

Comment

Working...
                              X