Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sky Hawk Engine Color

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sky Hawk Engine Color

    I've been researching the CORRECT engine color for my Sky Hawk, and I don't think I've found two that are the same color! Mine is a documented 17,000 mile car, but I've been told the engine color is wrong. Does anyone have a clear photo of the correct engine color...and a name for it? Thanks...

  • #2
    Studebaker 1956 & '57 Turquoise Green available at Studebaker Vendors. Not to be confused with..... Baby Blue.


    Click image for larger version

Name:	Provincial Eng2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1701626 An Original one with Factory overspray.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Taupe Parkview Texas6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1701627 A Restored one.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-24-2015, 02:47 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

    Comment


    • #3
      Would the 3spd trans and OD be the same?...

      Comment


      • #4
        As far as we can tell the "Power Train Packages" were complete less Electrics when Painted, Fan to Trans. Tail, at least they all matched when New.

        I have to wonder with SO many detail questions getting answered, are you going to remember all this when you get around to doing it?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

        Comment


        • #5
          STUDERICH - First of all, thank you so very much for all the help you and others have offered... I have saved EVERY answer I've received, and I save it ALL to my Studebaker File. My Hawk is set for delivery the 5th of Dec to my NY address. Now comes the tough part...we're in FL for the winter and won't be home until April! If you all will keep on answering my dumb questions it will be MUCH appreciated...

          Comment


          • #6
            You are in very rarified company, as research has stated that as of about five years ago, there were only 66 Sky Hawks registered in the country, and only EIGHT in our state!

            I'm researching the CORRECT engine color for my Sky Hawk, and I don't think I've found two that are the same color! Mine is a documented 17,000 mile car, but I've been told the engine color is wrong. Does anyone have a clear photo of the correct engine color...and a name for it? Thanks...[/QUOTE]
            peter lee

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
              You are in very rarified company, as research has stated that as of about five years ago, there were only 66 Sky Hawks registered in the country, and only EIGHT in our state!

              I'm researching the CORRECT engine color for my Sky Hawk, and I don't think I've found two that are the same color! Mine is a documented 17,000 mile car, but I've been told the engine color is wrong. Does anyone have a clear photo of the correct engine color...and a name for it? Thanks...
              Rich has provided the correct information, and the turquoise paint is correct for 1956-1957 V-8's both 259 and 289. The dual-exhaust Sky Hawk 289 should have the "Sweepstakes 289" valve cover sticker and engine and drive train, including intake manifolds should be engine color. Attached are some photos of my 289's in both my Sky Hawk and President. I did some "touch up" paint on the President, which is still a work in progress. The Sky Hawk has been untouched since its last repaint in 1976. Not everything is "correct" on the Sky Hawk, but it runs and drives great and has less than 20,000 miles on the factory short block.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by jnfweber; 11-25-2015, 01:00 PM. Reason: adding photos
              sigpic
              Jack, in Montana

              Comment


              • #8
                Refer to Fred Fox's Feature Article(s) in TW that cover Sky Hawks for things like what to paint what color and many other things. I believe that I have referred you to this resource prior to this.
                Do not go by things such as incorrect painting shown on some pictures posted.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

                SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Studebaker 1956 & '57 Turquoise Green available at Studebaker Vendors. Not to be confused with..... Baby Blue.


                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]49718[/ATTACH] An Original one with Factory overspray.

                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]49719[/ATTACH] A Restored one.
                  The ORIGINAL picture shows the correct engine color, (naturally), blue with a tinge of green,...... The shot of the RESTORED engine shows color which is TOO blue, a common mistake!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Quote: "The ORIGINAL picture shows the correct engine color, (naturally), blue with a tinge of green,...... The shot of the RESTORED engine shows color which is TOO blue, a common mistake!"

                    NOT! ... Turquoise is Green to those of us that are not Color blind!

                    Studebaker Turquoise is just the opposite, It's Green with a touch of Blue.

                    There is only one Studebaker Turquoise Green, it is single sourced, unless you mixed your own.

                    The '55 Engine Color Alberta Blue, is Blue with a touch of Green, but it is SO much darker, I don't think anyone would confuse the two.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Quote: "The ORIGINAL picture shows the correct engine color, (naturally), blue with a tinge of green,...... The shot of the RESTORED engine shows color which is TOO blue, a common mistake!"

                      NOT! ... Turquoise is Green to those of us that are not Color blind!

                      Studebaker Turquoise is just the opposite, It's Green with a touch of Blue.

                      There is only one Studebaker Turquoise Green, it is single sourced, unless you mixed your own.

                      The '55 Engine Color Alberta Blue, is Blue with a touch of Green, but it is SO much darker, I don't think anyone would confuse the two.



                      I believe what you're saying here Rich, (correct me if I'm wrong), is the color on the engines (pics of original & restored engines in your post #2)....is the same!......Do you really think that?

                      You don't see more 'green' in the 'original' engine's photo?............I sure do!

                      You're CORRECT when you say there was only one '56-'57 Studebaker engine turquoise color.... and the color on your restored engine ISN'T IT!
                      Last edited by SN-60; 11-26-2015, 06:03 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jnfweber View Post
                        Rich has provided the correct information, and the turquoise paint is correct for 1956-1957 V-8's both 259 and 289. The dual-exhaust Sky Hawk 289 should have the "Sweepstakes 289" valve cover sticker and engine and drive train, including intake manifolds should be engine color. Attached are some photos of my 289's in both my Sky Hawk and President. I did some "touch up" paint on the President, which is still a work in progress. The Sky Hawk has been untouched since its last repaint in 1976. Not everything is "correct" on the Sky Hawk, but it runs and drives great and has less than 20,000 miles on the factory short block.
                        The last two pics of the 'sedan's' engine appear to be close to the correct '56-'57 Stude engine color....it may be a shade 'light'...but that might just be the camera.

                        At least there is definitely a 'tinge' of green in this engine's color!

                        The GM Rochester 4bbl carb is interesting......not often seen used on a Stude V8!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Now, now...play nice...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            They look like the same color to me.
                            The original engine shows age and dirt on the paint, but if you look at the color on either side of the oil cap and compare it to the restored engine, I'd call them the same.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                              They look like the same color to me.
                              The original engine shows age and dirt on the paint, but if you look at the color on either side of the oil cap and compare it to the restored engine, I'd call them the same.
                              I hear you, and it could be that the camera itself distorted the color shown on the restored engine.....but I'm the guy that's usually 'called in' on tough color matches,....and I'm 100% sure the color on the restored engine is simply 'too blue' to be the correct '56-'57 Studebaker passenger car 'engine turquoise'.

                              I mean, if someone is taking the time and trouble (and $$$$$$) to accurately restore a car to original condition....they may as well try to 'get it right' the first time!!

                              Bottom line here,.....use whatever color 'floats your boat'!


                              HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X