Nels' R2 Standard @ 2015 Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nels' R2 Standard @ 2015 Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals

10 PM Saturday, November 21: Howe Clark and I just returned from a white-knuckle round trip in bad winter weather 185 miles each way to attend the prestigious 2015 Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals Show at The Stevens Convention Center in Rosemont IL, a NW Chicago suburb. 'Freezing rain most of the way up from central Indiana and a genuine snowstorm that had us averaging no more than 30 MPH on most of the Interstates coming back. Normally 3.5 hours each way, but today it was 4 hours going up and a full 6+ hours coming back!

But well worth it to see Nelson Bove's Super Red 1963 R2 Standard displayed at the show:

Nels' car was among perhaps eight cars in a special group of plain-jane, high-performance "Post" cars, a "show within a show" called The Post Sedan Invitational. The Standard easily garnered more attention than any of them. That special display had excellent placement within the show, near the front in a high-traffic area. Lots of good Studebaker high-performance publicity and promotion was to be had.

(Nels' Standard is special to cousin George Krem and me because we saw this very car brand new in The Studebaker Administration Building Employee Parking Lot in early summer 1963, where it was parked after having been ordered by a Studebaker employee. We know it was this car because we remember it well and there were no other cars built in this unique configuration.)

I came home to download nine photos to my Photobucket account, only to discover that downloading the first two filled my account. I need to set up more storage, so will do that Sunday and then post more photos to this thread.

For the time being, then, here are the Studebaker folks around Nelson's car:

Left to Right, with apologies for any misspelled names: Nelson Bove "hisownself," Ed George Sr., Canadian and prominent forum participant Craig Parslow, "Show Prep Supreme" detailer Eddie George, Yours Truly, Eddie's girl friend Anne Zimicki, Michelle Krooswyk, Howe Clark, Michelle's husband Luke (tall fellow; blond hair) and, last but not least, Steady Studey helper in this enterprise, Jay Sliwa.

Luke prepared the two beautiful information signs in front of the car, posted below.

4:45 PM Sunday, November 22. Here's the promised balance of the photos:

The Official Entry Card displayed on the car's windshield:

The "Pick" Award displayed later in the day when the awards had been announced. See the explanation of this award below:

Luke Krooswyk poses with the signage he created. Well done, Luke; very nice!

One of Luke's signs described Nels' Standard specifically:

Another sign explained Studebaker's R engines in detail, with other general Studebaker information:

Here, Ed George positions the right fender Studebaker script. Nelson replaced the front fenders before painting the car maybe 35 years ago, but never "got around to" installing the Studebaker scripts, so this was the time to do it. To save drilling holes, they [sparsely] used trim adhesive:

A big plus was that the show promoters select one car from each group (in this case, post sedans) and award it Promoter's Pick. Nels' Standard won that award in this class! Congrats to Nels for that and many thanks to Ed and Eddie George (and friends') dedication to giving Studebaker this important exposure to the thousands of high-performance car fans/attendees at this show.

(I will gladly correct name spellings if someone posts corrected spellings in a subsequent post. Thanks.) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 12-01-2015, 11:10 AM. Reason: corrected spelling of Jay's name. [Thanks, Butch (studerodder)]. Added photos.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Awesome display of Studebaker Performance! Forget Zoom, Zoom zoom, It's Vroom, Vroom, Vroom! Rumble and Roar!

I love it, that is a Great display, glad to hear it got a good spot, lots of attention AND an Award!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks Bob for the coverage. Look forward to more pics tomorrow. Also thanks to Nels for going all the way from Cincinnati to Chicago to show one of his many gorgeous Studes and to Eddie and his buddies for all the work they do in helping getting them ready and entered.

And to add icing to this, congratulations Nels for getting the special Promoter's Pick award.

Great way to showcase our loved cars. Who would have thought this 52 years ago?

Ted

Comment

the correct spelling for Jay's last name is Sliwa, Bob. Jay is a tireless worker who has helped all us chi-town stude guys at one time or another and neither seeks or accepts credit for it. sorry i missed the show this year.
        61 lark cruiser
        64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by studerodder View Post
          the correct spelling for Jay's last name is Sliwa, Bob. Jay is a tireless worker who has helped all us chi-town stude guys at one time or another and neither seeks or accepts credit for it. sorry i missed the show this year.
          Thanks, Butch; duly noted and corrected.

Yes, Team Ed & Eddie George have sung Jay's praises for his help with Studebaker display preparation for this event.

Thanks again, Jay! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

ATTABOY Nels, congrats!
            Thanks Bob!
            JS
            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

In the photo a good distance above, the person attributed to being Nelson shure looks more like his dad than Nelson.
              Nelson, thanks for the near death experience in this vehicle in St. Louis.
              sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

What a great display and such a nice car. Everyone should be proud...
                Last edited by Swifster; 11-22-2015, 10:37 PM.
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Congrats Nels. Great car

Denny L

Comment

Great stuff. Thanks to everyone who made it possible.

George
                    george krem

Comment

Just got back home at 2 am this morning. We had the car out of the show and strapped down to the trailer within an hour of the show's end. Great show and a great time. In our section, "post sedans", I'd say the Stude was photographed two to one over any of the others in the group. Lots and lots of compliments and head scratching. It seams no one knew such an animal even existed.

Comment

Originally posted by grobb284 View Post
                        In the photo a good distance above, the person attributed to being Nelson shure looks more like his dad than Nelson.
                        Nelson, thanks for the near death experience in this vehicle in St. Louis.
                        Thanks for the compliment, Gene. I'm actually headed up to McDonalds this morning to have breakfast with my dad. He's 94 and recently bought a new car.
                        Yes, it was fun giving some of you guys rides back then, good memories.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                          Thanks for the compliment, Gene. I'm actually headed up to McDonalds this morning to have breakfast with my dad. He's 94 and recently bought a new car.
                          Yes, it was fun giving some of you guys rides back then, good memories.
                          It was meant as a compliment. We are blessed that our dad's are still around.
                          sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                            Just got back home at 2 am this morning. We had the car out of the show and strapped down to the trailer within an hour of the show's end. Great show and a great time. In our section, "post sedans", I'd say the Stude was photographed two to one over any of the others in the group. Lots and lots of compliments and head scratching. It seams no one knew such an animal even existed.
                            2 AM? Good grief, Nels; are you out of your ever-lovin' mind? ( On second thought, don't answer that....)

We had the guest bedroom all ready for your with fresh sheets and pillowcases and you must've passed the house before midnight. You should've stopped, for Pete's sake!

Oh, well; 'glad you're home safe. How was the driving from Rosemont to, say, 80 miles or so down Indiana on I-65?

A great show indeed; thanks so much for your and everyone else's efforts. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              2 AM? Good grief, Nels; are you out of your ever-lovin' mind? ( On second thought, don't answer that....)

We had the guest bedroom all ready for your with fresh sheets and pillowcases and you must've passed the house before midnight. You should've stopped, for Pete's sake!

Oh, well; 'glad you're home safe. How was the driving from Rosemont to, say, 80 miles or so down Indiana on I-65?

A great show indeed; thanks so much for your and everyone else's efforts. BP
                              I thought about stopping but I was wide awake, traffic was minimal so I carried on. I did appreciate the offer.
                              The roads were fine all the way home. I was a little worried about black ice in the Chicago area but the worry was in my head as all was dry.
                              Sure a lot of tolls to get out of Illinois. I wonder why, between booths, a car is $1.50 and it's $3.15 if you have a trailer, twice the axles but more than twice the price?

Comment

Working...
                              X