56 3 speed/OD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 3 speed/OD

Was 1st gear in the '56 3 speed transmission synchronized?...

It was not.
    sigpic
    1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
    Lewisville,NC

Comment

That is a question that comes up every now and then. It baffles me as to why anyone would think a Car should be able to be shifted into LOW, without stopping? WHY would you EVER need to do that?
      A slight roll in Second will get any Car going, even a SIX!

But I think it may sometimes come from people used to Foreign Cars maybe, I THINK it is possible that some English cars had such a thing, no American Car or Truck would have, unless it was built after 1970 maybe.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The first car I saw with a 3 speed that was fully synchronized was a 64 Mustang. I thought it was a neat idea. I have been in situations where I would have liked to have been able to slip into first gear without fully stopping.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

First gear can 'feel' like it's synchronized when the O/D is working and the car 'freewheels'....it's easily possible to slip the transmission into first gear at low speeds without gear clash!

Comment

I think Packard had 1st syncro in the late 40's or early 50's if not earlier. -Jim

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              First gear can 'feel' like it's synchronized when the O/D is working and the car 'freewheels'....it's easily possible to slip the transmission into first gear at low speeds without gear clash!
              I can usually slip my trans into first if I am rolling almost to a stop, but I don't make a habit of it. If the tranny was designed for it I would like it better.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

When I was running a T85 OD in my Coupe, I used to downshift into 1st gear all the time. Its a non-synchro trans, but the trick I used was to speed shift into Low gear without the clutch. In fact, you can speed shift up and down the gears without the clutch all day if you wish. Just match the speed of the trans with the rpms of the engine... smooth as a clutch. It doesnt take too much practice to get it down right. And I used that trans for almost a decade without trouble.
                sals54

Comment

I agree with Rich and almost never need to shift to low, unless at a stop. If I had to use low then I'd simply double clutch. I never ride the clutch because it causes wear on the throwout bearing and engine thrust bearing. When I'm coasting to a stop I put the tranny in neutral when the car slows to under 10 MPH, then if I should need to accelerate I just shift to low or back into second and give it gas.

When I'm stopped and the light turns green, I lift the shift lever up just enough to touch second gear synchro (which slows the gears) then shift into low. Lifting the shift lever to touch second synchro slows the tranny gear speed so you can shift to first quicker, rather than waiting for the gears to stop.

Comment

I thought the late 50's-early 60's Chevy (Muncie?) 3spds, like the ones that could be had with BW overdrive units, had synchro'ed first gear, no?

Comment

Double clutch...easy downshift. Learned on a '51 F1 Panel truck...works in the Stude too. ALthough I've now replaced the old 3-spd/OD with T5.
                      -------------------
                      Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

My 57 Commander shifts smoothly to 1st before stopping. Found out by accident when pulling up to the gate of our gated community.

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                          I thought the late 50's-early 60's Chevy (Muncie?) 3spds, like the ones that could be had with BW overdrive units, had synchro'ed first gear, no?
                          GM used Fords heavy duty 3spd as the std trans in some of their muscle cars which was fully synchro'd

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                            Don't think so. I have owned a 62 Impala with 3-speed on the column for many years. No synchro in first. And BTW, I have recently learned in another thread that the GM 3-spd/OD transmissions were made by Saginaw.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                              Don't think so. I have owned a 62 Impala with 3-speed on the column for many years. No synchro in first. And BTW, I have recently learned in another thread that the GM 3-spd/OD transmissions were made by Saginaw.
                              BTW, the OD unit from the all synchro Saginaw 3 speed will bolt right on to the iron case Saginaw 4 speed. A pretty neat combo.
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X