63 R1 For $2,500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 R1 For $2,500

Not mine, but cheap enough http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/5319846561.html

boy I sure wish that was closer to me.
    thanks for posting
    "Fords are cars Studebakers are Automobiles" -Jerry Washburn

Comment

Just WOWzers

Comment

Looks like it might be a 64 GT with a 63 boot lid. Hard to tell without an interior shot.
        Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
        1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
        1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
        1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
        1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
        1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Being from Mi I wonder what the frame looks like. If its solid thats a steal. Steve
          sigpic

Comment

I'd guess that its a 63 even though it has the 64 R1 fender badges. Looking at the JT roster I'd guess that the serial number is 63V-10542 and was originally Ermine White.

Nick

Comment

It was probably not Avanti Powered when built because of the 3 Speed, but then again maybe the Seller does not know it's a 4 Speed.

Interior Pics would make or break it.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My guess it is a 64 the front side grilles look that way with the rusted trim plates removed and the door script looks to be chrome and not gold. 61 lark what makes you think that the number you gave is the number for this car?
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

A three-speed manual transmission was standard equipment with the R1 engine (it wasn't available with the R2, though). It was rare, but a few were made. According to my PO research (printed in the museum publication Super Studebakers), four such Hawks were made: 3 1963s and 1 1964, all R1s.

So it's just possible that this Hawk is one of those cars. Nick, you may be right; 63V-10542 could be the car because it was an Ermine White/Black Vinyl '63 R1/3-speed. The only other options on the PO are disc brakes, undercoating, Climatizer, windshield washers, and front bumper guards. Engine number JT-1364, destination Kalamazoo, MI.

George
                  george krem

Comment

Any dark green ones?

Comment

There's no easy way to tell if any green, R-powered, 3-speed Hawks were made either year. The only way is to check every car in my R-powered list of all 1391 '63s and 545 '64s. In my research, I tabulated how many of each color were made, but not how many of each color had the 3-speed. Sorry.

George
                      george krem

Comment

Of course stuff like this pops up when I have no space.. I wish I could pick this car up. the price is right!

Comment

It was undoubtedly Ermine White originally. Not only did Studebaker not have a dark green in 1963, but look at the firewall in the underhood shot. They shot dark green toward the top of the cowl, but below the body seam (i.e., near the distributor and oil pressure line, etc., you can clearly see where it has flaked off and white is revealed. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

As per seller the R-1 and badges are transplants. jumps out of first and no brakes. Act fast, someone will be there Sunday to get it. He does not take paypal or I would be traveling. Steve
                            sigpic

Comment

Looks to me to be a 63 with maybe some 64 front parts. Hub caps are 63, Rear tail lights are painted as where 63's and 63 trunk lid. Looks like white paint showing though on firewall so would guess repainted green. With out engine number no way to tell if R-1 or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X