Strasburg RR Train Trip and Visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strasburg RR Train Trip and Visit

I posted this note under the International Meet Topic and have gotten No Response so I am putting it here. I have had several requests to do this but need to know how much interest there is in doing it. I have been in touch with the RR and they will work with us on it if the interest is there so please let me know. THANKS

f there is enough interest from forum members and others, i will attempt to set up a night time visit to the Strasburg RR. I have been in contact with them and have taken some PR shots for the International Meet with 4 decades of Studebakers in front of the engine. I have also discussed the possibility of a Studebaker visit but it will DEFINITELY BE AFTER THOMAS THE TANK FANS GO TO SLEEP. I just need to know the interest level to proceed. Ask you local newsletter editors to check out the article "Memories of the Past - A Parallel History o Two Transportation Companies" posted to their site in this newsgroup and ready for their use.

See you in the future as I write about our past
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

I went to the Strasburg Railroad site and steam train rides a number of years ago in conjunction with an SDC event. I have no desire to return there during the SDC Convention week next year.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I went to the Strasburg Railroad site and steam train rides a number of years ago in conjunction with an SDC event. I have no desire to return there during the SDC Convention week next year.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

IIRC across the street is a rail road museum. Last time I was there they had one of the last GG-1's outside.

It might be of some interest of those attending the National to visit, and on a good warm evening a ride on the open bench seat cars would be a treat. I got a cab ride in the locomotive back in the late 80's.

There are also some places that would make great photo ops, and I think that a tour/trip would be a boost for them and the National.

Do they still run out the ex-PRR mainline and do a run-around?

Comment

IIRC across the street is a rail road museum. Last time I was there they had one of the last GG-1's outside.

It might be of some interest of those attending the National to visit, and on a good warm evening a ride on the open bench seat cars would be a treat. I got a cab ride in the locomotive back in the late 80's.

There are also some places that would make great photo ops, and I think that a tour/trip would be a boost for them and the National.

Do they still run out the ex-PRR mainline and do a run-around?

Comment

I should throw the promotion in for Steamtown as well. Apparently its in Scranton, but its a real haven for steam as well.
            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I should throw the promotion in for Steamtown as well. Apparently its in Scranton, but its a real haven for steam as well.
              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Train Museum across the street is an excellant place to visit full of lots of engines, frieght cars and passenger cars. GG-1 is still in the yard with others. Train runs from Strasburg to the mainline in Paradise. Ir is about 6.5 miles or a little more one way.

Steamtown is indeed in Scranton and as stated a great place for steam. it is a National Park Service site and well maintained. The major problem it is approximately 120 miles plus from Lancaster and beyond a day trip range for the meet. The KRCSDC has been to Steamtown as a club and we had a blast.

Since there seems to be some interest I will explore what we might be able to provide for those who are interested.

Comment

Train Museum across the street is an excellant place to visit full of lots of engines, frieght cars and passenger cars. GG-1 is still in the yard with others. Train runs from Strasburg to the mainline in Paradise. Ir is about 6.5 miles or a little more one way.

Steamtown is indeed in Scranton and as stated a great place for steam. it is a National Park Service site and well maintained. The major problem it is approximately 120 miles plus from Lancaster and beyond a day trip range for the meet. The KRCSDC has been to Steamtown as a club and we had a blast.

Since there seems to be some interest I will explore what we might be able to provide for those who are interested.

Comment

Working...
                  X