Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my '56 3/4 tn wheels, hubs, and axles

All:
    I posted about my Budd 6 lug wheels a while back and have been doing alot of online research since. My wheels are too rusty to fix, and I'm thinking I only have two options: find the same wheels that are usable, or replace both axles.

Do any of you have 5 16" Budd wheels, 6 on 7-1/2 and what would you sell them for? Or can you tell me my best plan to swap my axles/hubs to something more usable? Also, if you know of any links showing the measurements and dimensions of the E212's axle assemblies that would be great. I've looked through my shop manual, parts book, and the monogram from the Studebaker Museum but can't find anything.

Thakns!
    Ken

They should be common to other makes of trucks besides Studebaker. I would also check Dodge Truck sources for those wheels.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      They should be common to other makes of trucks besides Studebaker. I would also check Dodge Truck sources for those wheels. Craig
      Unfortunately not so. Studebaker was the only company to use that exact Budd wheel. The good news is they were used on 3/4t from '49-early '56 Studes, so they're not that difficult to find. Your problem is they're heavy to ship from out here in the west where rust didn't kill so many.

As Option One, I'd also put out a WTB over on the Truck Forum and maybe someone in the mid-Atlantic area will respond. If not, we can help you look for some out here. I'd recommend sandblasting and powdercoating. Mine have looked good for twenty years now.

It's possible to swap axles to use the later 8-lug generic wheels, but IMHO you'd be losing an integral piece of the styling. The '49-'56 wheels are distinctive and to my eye make it look like a real truck. I'd never give up that look.

The later 8-lug factory disc wheels are just plain-jane. Having said that, there are piles of aftermarket wheels available because Ford and Dodge did use the 8-lug pattern. Whether these look right on an early Stude is a matter of opinion, just wouldn't want it on mine.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for your continued advice Jack. I just posted on Studebaker Truck Farmers and will do the same at the Studebaker truck Forum.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1701518

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1701520

Good luck to you I just yesterday bought a complete 57 trailer Toter just for the 6 lug wheels. I have been searching high and low for 5 years to get 6 one piece wheels for my 62 dual rear 4X4 truck. I already have a really good driver 64 (5 lug) trailer Toter. So I'll use the rest of the truck for parts for several of my other trucks. My 4 wheel drive is a running & driving truck except the wheels were beyond repair. Changing axels on my 4x4 was not an option because I needed front & rear.
          Attached Files
          John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

If your wheels are just rusty around the rim and locks with a solid center section you can have them converted to one piece wheels by welding a new outer section to your centers. Some damage to the center section can be repaired also if it is not too extensive. Good Luck, Steve
            sigpic

Comment

I'm looking at re-using the center secyions like you said. Just haven't found the right shop here yet.

Comment

Check with either Wheel Vintiques or Stockton Wheel either one might be able to help you.

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                  If your wheels are just rusty around the rim and locks with a solid center section you can have them converted to one piece wheels by welding a new outer section to your centers. Some damage to the center section can be repaired also if it is not too extensive. Good Luck, Steve
                  I'm looking at re-using the center secyions like you said. Just haven't found the right shop here yet.
                  Just be aware welding a Stude Budd center to a 16" tubeless drop center rim will require cutting away most of the scallops which give the Budd wheel its distinctive look. I mention this because one Stude R12 owner spent more than $1,000 to have Stockton Wheel do a set for him and then didn't like the look when he got them. If I were ever to do such a conversion, I'd consider 17" or 18" rims which would allow retaining more of the Budd center.

However, since there are still a few sets of original 16" 2-piece wheels out there, I'll stay with them, as they've given me no trouble in more than fifty years.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

you're gonna think I'm nutZ.... Or I'll just prove it..

Another option with a possibility. There are machine shops that can re-machine the lug holes on nearly any wheel to fit your lugs.
                    You could check on that as well. However you'll have 2 sets of holes or something funny looking, or since they're steel they might can be welded up.

reason I said this, I bought a set of used wheels for a brand X that were NICE, actually fit until I attempted to start the lug nuts. found out that they only fit mercedes and chevy. HUH? so I did some digging and found a shop in nashville that actually will CNC Mill new holes in the exact pattern you need.

There may be others that do the same. Just another Monkey Wrench in the mix.

Comment

I have a follow-up question about my Budd wheels. After blasting them clean, I see that the following is stamped on the rim "Firestone 16X5.5 RH-P" and the number 61470. all five wheels are identical, with the same markings. On the Studebaker Truck Talk Forum, I found a post stating these are in fact wheels that would normally be on a E13 - 1 ton. So, I guess my questiion is, do I have 1 ton wheels on a 3/4 ton pickup? And, if so, what is the correct product number for this wheel?
                      Also, I am waiting to get a quote from Wheels Now to make 5 wheels to match the ones I have.
                      Thanks!
                      Ken

Comment

Since you originally asked for 6 Wheels, I am thinking that someone has put a Dually Rear Axle in from a
                        1 Ton, there were no 3/4 Duallys.

Also, if it has Single rear wheel drums and axle, there were several wheel options and sizes available for 3/4 Tons so yours could be optional wheels.

After all these years do you really think a "Product Number"... Firestone? is going to be any help?

We are all assuming you have Cast Iron Wheels not Steel, correct?
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          After all these years do you really think a "Product Number"... Firestone? is going to be any help?
                          Actually, it should be helpful. There is a poster on the Truck Forum ('truckdog') that is an expert on the various big truck wheels, and uses the product numbers stamped in the wheels to identify the type of wheel, what other trucks they were used on, etc.
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC
                          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I guess I'm not communicating very well. The truck is'nt a dually, but did come with the heavy duty suspension. The product number is all I have to go by, but I guess I can post the dimensions if that would help. And as far as the wheels, I know they are steel wheels, and the hub is probably cast iron. Here's a picture of the rear hub:

Name:	rearhub.JPG
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1701635

Comment

here's some pictures of the wheels

Name:	wheel111.JPG
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	1701636Click image for larger version