1951 Commander Business Coupe on e-bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Commander Business Coupe on e-bay

I assume it is a conversion, but a well done one.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-C...m=252167002882
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Partial flow Avanti engine?

Comment

I contacted the seller to let him know what he has there is a business coupe, hence no rear seat. He responded, thanking me for the information. I see he has not updated his listing.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I could force myself to drive that! Every day if necessary.
        sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I can't match that Serial Number with any Studebaker. Am I missing something or is it the number that is incorrect?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, the Vernon '51 Commanders had numbers in the 8000000 range. Have sent an inquiry to the seller. Will let you know his response.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Is that a '50 dash? I do like it. It appears to be nicely done.
              Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                Yes, the Vernon '51 Commanders had numbers in the 8000000 range. Have sent an inquiry to the seller. Will let you know his response.
                I agree with you on the 8XXX numbers for 1951 Vernon Commanders, BUT the Serial Number in the eBay listing is 6905197 (six XXX).

All 1951 Commanders fall into the 8XXX range, with the Vernon cars being 8800001-8815942.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by mapman View Post
                  Is that a '50 dash? I do like it. It appears to be nicely done.
                  Rob
                  Yes. That is a 50 Commander dash.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

This looks like a Car that long time Member and X Stude. Dealer Parts Counterman, Tom Ennis of Buellton, CA built from I guess a Champion, near Solvang where we had the big North/Southern Calif. SDC meets in the 1970's.

I think it had a Top Shifter T-86 or T-85 Overdrive Trans. and a warmed up or stock 289, I don't remember it being a R1 but maybe?
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

It would be interesting to have some history on the chain of possession of this vehicle. Obviously, it has had a succession of owners who truly cared for it. Over the years, I've met owners who truly cared for the car in their possession, but neither cared for or bothered to learn the history. Often, cars are bought on an impulse, enjoyed for a while, and passed on. With the way this car ad is presented and written...it raises a few red flags as to what to look for.

The comments about the back seat being removed, tells me this owner has never taken the time to learn much more than the fact that he has a "cool Car." Bought right...this could turn out to be a terrific driver. However, a person not realizing what is truly unique to Studebaker cars of this era could neglect certain things requiring attention. For example, the need to occasionally remove the pipe plug, install a grease zerk, and lubricate the outer rear axle bearings, individual cam adjustments to each brake shoe, separate transmission oil reservoir for the overdrive, and the grease fitting for the center bell crank.

The statement regarding the "Avanti" engine could be no more than an embellished "myth," inspired by cruise-in comments. ("Hey, that looks just like the engine that was in my uncle's ex girlfriend's cousin's Avanti!")

More important, would be how that engine found its way into the car. Was it pulled out of its former engine bay and transferred already worn out? Is the current owner really selling it 'cause he's too old to enjoy it? Could be that he is really selling it because the suspension has it wandering all over the road, it shifts rough, runs bad, runs hot, and is very difficult to stop. That kind of stuff could really motivate someone, not too mechanically astute, to want to sell the car, no matter how "cool" it is.

Someone with the mechanical skills to cover these areas, could get a truly "cool" car here. One very encouraging thing, to me, is that the steering wheel looks like a new Shrock Brothers wheel. That fact alone tells me that the owner wouldn't intentionally neglect the car. I hope it ends up in a good place.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Did anyone else notice that the car has the base for a radio antenna behind the rear window, but there is no sign of a radio?
                        sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Looks like a 61 or early 62 engine to me late valve covers and a wcfb carb, but it could be anything just slapped together. A very cool car tho.
                          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            I agree with you on the 8XXX numbers for 1951 Vernon Commanders, BUT the Serial Number in the eBay listing is 6905197 (six XXX).

All 1951 Commanders fall into the 8XXX range, with the Vernon cars being 8800001-8815942.
                            I think that I have the answer to the Serial Number question. If the first 6 is really a G, it would be a Serial Number for a 1951 Champion built in Vernon.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I am quite sure this is Tom Ennis's Car with the '50 Commander Dash, Fog Lights and rear deck Antenna he installed, and he NEVER did anything half way, I am sure it has '54-'66 V8 Brakes, V8 Rear Axle the whole deal, done properly and it does not appear to be deteriorated or worn much since the 70's.

It is NOT a poorly done "Piece O C".
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X