What sort of modern headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sort of modern headlights

I would check and or replace the ground wire from the headlight bucket to the fender. Have you checked the charging circuit and Battery out?

The ordinary 4 headlight system on that '62 Lark is supposed to have a high and low filament in the the "Low" beam and the other "High" Beam (inboard ones) come on also in High Beam. The Low beam should be as bright as any 1960's car, not all that dim really.

They can be improved by installing the Halogen ones available in Parts Stores, but in the round four headlight size I don't know of anything else.

There well could be some illegal "off road" only aftermarket seal beams available on off road sites. I don't see these cars ever being blazing (should be illegal) like a super gas filled little short lived bulb in a new Lexus SUV! [xx(]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

I would check and or replace the ground wire from the headlight bucket to the fender. Have you checked the charging circuit and Battery out?

The ordinary 4 headlight system on that '62 Lark is supposed to have a high and low filament in the the "Low" beam and the other "High" Beam (inboard ones) come on also in High Beam. The Low beam should be as bright as any 1960's car, not all that dim really.

They can be improved by installing the Halogen ones available in Parts Stores, but in the round four headlight size I don't know of anything else.

There well could be some illegal "off road" only aftermarket seal beams available on off road sites. I don't see these cars ever being blazing (should be illegal) like a super gas filled little short lived bulb in a new Lexus SUV! [xx(]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

All the lights work as designed, it's just that what was bright in 1962 ain't too good now...

Dave

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      Dave Miller
      So. Ga. SDC
      Big Bend SDC

Comment

All the lights work as designed, it's just that what was bright in 1962 ain't too good now...

Dave

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        Dave Miller
        So. Ga. SDC
        Big Bend SDC

Comment

What sort of modern headlights

are recommended for a 1962 Cruiser?

The ones I have don't make light the way modern lights do!

I'd also like to consider some "driving lights" if just for the vuisual effect.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Miller
          So. Ga. SDC
          Big Bend SDC

Comment

Just go to Walmart and get Halogens,the same size. Make sure they are aimed correctly though.Put the car 30 feet from a wall,the center of the beam should hit the wall at the same height the center of bulb is from the ground-left one slightly inward and slightly lower.

LaSalle,Il
            61Hawk
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Just go to Walmart and get Halogens,the same size. Make sure they are aimed correctly though.Put the car 30 feet from a wall,the center of the beam should hit the wall at the same height the center of bulb is from the ground-left one slightly inward and slightly lower.

LaSalle,Il
              61Hawk
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I went to Wal-Mart and bought Sylvania halogen headlamps for the Transtar for cheap and while they are not as effective as modern day illumination, they work a lot better than the old tungsten sealed beams.

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>

Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander
                Zone Coordinator
                Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I went to Wal-Mart and bought Sylvania halogen headlamps for the Transtar for cheap and while they are not as effective as modern day illumination, they work a lot better than the old tungsten sealed beams.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>

Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander
                  Zone Coordinator
                  Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

The headlight wiring in Studebakers of the '60s is definitely marginal, IMHO. And the switches are scarcely better.

Do yourself a favor and install a dual headlight relay, even if you keep the old sealed beams; they will burn brighter if they get the full rated voltage. If you go to halogen sealed beams, which need more juice, a relay should be regarded as mandatory.

The car that you don't burn down could be your own!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The headlight wiring in Studebakers of the '60s is definitely marginal, IMHO. And the switches are scarcely better.

Do yourself a favor and install a dual headlight relay, even if you keep the old sealed beams; they will burn brighter if they get the full rated voltage. If you go to halogen sealed beams, which need more juice, a relay should be regarded as mandatory.

The car that you don't burn down could be your own!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by So. Ga. Cruiser

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Miller

So. Ga. SDC
                        Big Bend SDC
                        You're getting old Dave. It's not the the headlights, it's your eyes.
                        BTW, Welcome to the forum.

Jerry Forrester
                        Douglasville, Georgia
                        Be sure to check out my eBay store
                        http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_
                        for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo here...http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...rrystudebaker/
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by So. Ga. Cruiser

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Miller

So. Ga. SDC
                          Big Bend SDC
                          You're getting old Dave. It's not the the headlights, it's your eyes.
                          BTW, Welcome to the forum.

Jerry Forrester
                          Douglasville, Georgia
                          Be sure to check out my eBay store
                          http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_
                          for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo here...http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...rrystudebaker/
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Yall don't pick on Dave. He's my friend. NT

Neil Thornton
                            Hazlehurst, GA
                            '57 Silver Hawk
                            '56 Sky Hawk
                            '51 2R16 dump truck
                            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Yall don't pick on Dave. He's my friend. NT

Neil Thornton