• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone decipher this VIN

W1460K205

1951 Studebaker

Thanks

All I can tell you is this is NOT a Studebaker Serial Number. What it is who knows.
    Always look at the Drivers Door Post, (a '51 would be on the front door rear latch Post) for the Real Number, lacking that you are nowhere.

UPDATE: The "VIN" Numbers on paperwork like Titles, Registration Cards, Insurance Cards and Bill of Sales can be very incorrect.

They may have come from an Engine, either current or past, (some larger Engine Rebuilders in the Day would number their engines.) or a State issued "VIN" Number as Bob P. said.
    I have even seen the body Number used by the unknowing DMV People or sellers.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-09-2015, 01:19 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

What StudeRich just said.

Can you photograph the plate and post it here? It may be a state-assigned VIN to replace one that was lost or stolen. The vehicle may have been stolen at one time and the original number removed or altered, so the state assigned it a new VIN when it was recovered and sold at a police or insurance pool auction.

There are several plausible explanations, but we'd need to see the plate in question to analyze it. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

There is no plate on the car but there is a Wisconsin title with that VIN number on it.

Comment

The WI is the clue: that VIN was issued by the Wisconsin DMV to a vehicle whose serial number was lost or could not be verified.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

What Skip said, but are the first two digits WI or W1? ?Your original post indicates W1, with the numeral 1 rather than an upper-case I, as would be used by the state of WIsconsin, per Skip's suggestion.

Do you own this vehicle, or are you thinking about buying it, or ???? If you are thinking about buying it, you might run that number past the local Motor Vehicle License Branch and see what they have to say about it before buying the vehicle.

Is this on a truck or car or ????
            BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It is for a 51 business coupe I just bought. I called the seller and he said the car did not have a VIN plate when he purchased it. He never changed the title into his name. The title indicates that the previous owner had financed the car and the bank has released the liens. The first two digits are W1. Additional Vehicle Detail area on the title states "PREVIOUSLY TITLED IN: MN"

Comment

Check on the underside of the rear cross member flange. The original serial number will be stamped into it.
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Presumably a six cylinder Champion
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Does it have the body number on the cowl under the hood?

Comment

The body number has been removed, as the engine compartment was customized. I have emailed the Wisconsin DMV to inquire about the VIN but have not received a reply.
                      I did look under the rear as Mr. Quinn suggested but will need to do some paint removal before I can find the stamped numbers.

Comment

Working...
                      X