transmission noise update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission noise update.

I found the noise in the Borg-Warner transmission! Apparently I hadn't allowed the tranny to warm up enough when I added the last four quarts of fluid after the initial three quarts before start up. As a result I got a false reading on the dip stick. Today I let the car run for a good twenty minutes. I kept it in neutral to avoid that awful screeching noise. When I pulled the dip-stick it read low. I added another quart and a half and checked the level again. It now read full. I ran the transmission through all the gears and then up into park. The noise was gone! All I could hear was the sound of that beautiful V8 rumble. Music to my ears! Thank you all for your input. Greatly appreciated.

Thanks for posting the solution. That adds to the general knowledge base.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Just be sure to check in warm in DRIVE to see if you still under or over Filled it.
      Just because the buzzing rattle is gone, does not mean the level is correct.

The Standard non-Cooler equipped Flight-O-Matics take 9 Qt. and the H.D. with the cooler take 9 1/2 Qts.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Just be sure to check in warm in DRIVE to see if you still under or over Filled it.
        Just because the buzzing rattle is gone, does not mean the level is correct.

The Standard non-Cooler equipped Flight-O-Matics take 9 Qt. and the H.D. with the cooler take 9 1/2 Qts.
        Thanks for the info and the hint to check in drive when warmed up to normal running temperature. Never knew that!

Comment

Working...
        X