1964 Daytona 6cyl ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Daytona 6cyl ????

For sale locally is a 1964 DAYTONA with a 6 cylinder motor; I thought they came standard with a V8..... or not????

Bet it's got a white steering wheel ?
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

No. Only the US-built Cruiser came standard with a V8 in 1964.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I thought it was 259 standard in US built Daytonas.

Comment

It's a Cdn built Daytona
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            No. Only the US-built Cruiser came standard with a V8 in 1964.
            All '64 South Bend Daytonas built for U.S. Sale, all Body Styles, were 259 V8's Standard, with 289 2V, 4V, JT 289, JTS 289, R3 304 or R4 304 Option.

The Cruiser and Hawk had 289 2V's Standard.

Last edited by StudeRich; 11-05-2015, 05:26 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Clayton, is it a 4 Door Sedan, 2 Dr. Hardtop, Convertible or Wagonaire?
              StudeRich

Comment

Maybe a V8 delete option?
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Here's a 4 door that was for sale a year ago: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Sedan-on-ebay

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Clayton, is it a 4 Door Sedan, 2 Dr. Hardtop, Convertible or Wagonaire?
                    Yep.. it has a white steering wheel and is a 4 door model

Comment

I have a 64 Canadian Built Daytona 4 door sedan and ordered the build sheet that lists the options, and the 259 V8 is listed as an option. Therefore I suspect that the 6 cylinder was "standard".
                      Bob
                      Welland Ontario
                      60 Lark Convertible
                      64 Daytona
                      sigpic
                      "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Originally posted by pinehurstbob View Post
                        I have a 64 Canadian Built Daytona 4 door sedan and ordered the build sheet that lists the options, and the 259 V8 is listed as an option. Therefore I suspect that the 6 cylinder was "standard".
                        Yep, only in the frozen North!
                        StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by pinehurstbob View Post
                          Bob, any chance you could post that Build Sheet?

Reason I ask is that AFAIK, Studebaker continued the practice of specifying a given car model as being either a Six or V8, with engine options above those basic two definitions if the car was a V8 model.

I.e., one did not simply order a "1964 Daytona 4-door" as if it had no engine in it and then specify Six or V8 engine as one of the options. The basic car had to be either a 1964 Daytona Six (64S-Y8 in South Bend format, since that model wasn't built in South Bend ) or a 1964 Daytona V8 (64V-Y8, again in South Bend format).

Curious. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            Bob, any chance you could post that Build Sheet?

Reason I ask is that AFAIK, Studebaker continued the practice of specifying a given car model as being either a Six or V8, with engine options above those basic two definitions if the car was a V8 model.

I.e., one did not simply order a "1964 Daytona 4-door" as if it had no engine in it and then specify Six or V8 engine as one of the options. The basic car had to be either a 1964 Daytona Six (64S-Y8 in South Bend format, since that model wasn't built in South Bend ) or a 1964 Daytona V8 (64V-Y8, again in South Bend format).

Curious. BP
                            That's right, Bob. Build sheets for my Daytonas all had "8" in the top line. That way Studebaker could talk about the car having a "standard V8", although the base price was higher than the same car with a six-cylinder.

Chevrolet did this for decades, too.
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                              That's right, Bob. Build sheets for my Daytonas all had "8" in the top line. That way Studebaker could talk about the car having a "standard V8", although the base price was higher than the same car with a six-cylinder.

Chevrolet did this for decades, too.
                              And it makes sense, too, if you stop to think about it.

Otherwise, you would technically be ordering a car without an engine in it, and they generally aren't sold that way! BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X