Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk mat for 1954 Commander Starliner hardtop needed

Hello everyone,

I'm preparing our 1954 Commander Starliner hardtop (AKA Grace) for the AACA Grand National Meet in Williamsport, PA June 2-June 4, 2016. I desperately need a trunk mat for our car. Original or good reproduction. Heck, if you'd let me borrow yours for the meet, that would be fine. Please contact me off list.

PA211797.jpg
    Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

studebaker international

Comment

For the trunk mat your looking for, it's best to contact Rene Harger.

Comment

The repops just don't look as good as the originals imo. I saw a NOS one at York a few years ago but it was in the original package and couldn't be unrolled due to the brittleness. I hope you do find an original.

Comment

I believe the correct woven Bertec (Straw Type) are available from SouthEast Studebaker. Vinyl is incorrect for 1954.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

As I believe that you know, the correct trunk mat is fiber. I had five or six, but I am now sold out.

For AACA judging, you could probably get away with the later vinyl type. I do not believe that you will come across an AACA judge who will know which is correct. As long as the mat looks like new and period (do not use a tire cover), I doubt that you would get dinged for it in AACA judging (of course you would in SDC judging, especially if I was doing the authenticity <G>) [I do not guarantee the AACA part. You may get that one judge that knows the difference and what should be there.]

As has been stated, Rene is your best shot for the correct one.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I believe the correct woven Bertec (Straw Type) are available from SouthEast Studebaker. Vinyl is incorrect for 1954.
              I know that you know, but for the sake of others, the correct trunk mat is woven Mattex material.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by alanmende View Post
                Hello everyone,

I'm preparing our 1954 Commander Starliner hardtop (AKA Grace) for the AACA Grand National Meet in Williamsport, PA June 2-June 4, 2016. I desperately need a trunk mat for our car. Original or good reproduction. Heck, if you'd let me borrow yours for the meet, that would be fine. Please contact me off list.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49166[/ATTACH]
                Alan,
                I have an excellent mat in the correct Mattex fabric. I think it is NOS, but could be a very well done reproduction. It has never been used in a car and as far as I know is new old stock.

Here are some quick phone pictures just taken today after I unfolded it on my floor. Not the best quality photos and color pictures are not the best, but probably enough to show the mat.
                email if you want this for your 1954 Starliner.
                editor@aoai.org
                Attached Files
                Lew Schucart
                Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

I don't know if the Colors came through as they actually are, but it appears to be Pink, Blueish Purple and Maroon which looks more like the '55 Speedster mat than the Brown and Tan '53-'54 mat, but very likely Original Studebaker of some year.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    I don't know if the Colors came through as they actually are, but it appears to be Pink, Blueish Purple and Maroon which looks more like the '55 Speedster mat than the Brown and Tan '53-'54 mat, but very likely Original Studebaker of some year.
                    No.. the colors are not correct in these iPhone photos. No pink in the mat. They are brown, tan and light blue.
                    Lew Schucart
                    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Private email sent.
                      Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                      Grantville, PA

Comment

Originally posted by alanmende View Post
                        Private email sent.
                        Alan, I tried sending you a private message and replying to your message but it looked like it did not go through.
                        Send me an email at editor@aoai.org please.
                        Lew Schucart
                        Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Thank you everyone who responded to my call for a trunk mat for Grace. I've decided to go with Lew Schucart.
                          Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                          Grantville, PA

Comment

Glad this worked out for you Alan. Beautiful car. (you can post pictures when u want). LOL Does anyone else have a mat for sale? I could use one for The Saturday Night Special. Condition not as critical as was in Alan's case. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                              Glad this worked out for you Alan. Beautiful car. (you can post pictures when u want). LOL Does anyone else have a mat for sale? I could use one for The Saturday Night Special. Condition not as critical as was in Alan's case. Thanks
                              Hi Flashback,

Bill Foy of Thousand Islands, Ontario, Canada has one if he can find it. He goes by his Forum name of Captain Billy. He has moved and the mat is packed away.
                              Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                              Grantville, PA

Comment

Working...
                              X