Interesting Auction Dec 4/5 w/nice Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Auction Dec 4/5 w/nice Avanti

Orange, Virginia: This would be an interesting auction to attend from several standpoints, and the 1963 Studebaker Avanti looks nice:

http://gibsonauction.com/waughmuseum/

BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Interesting collection! Four Crosleys! I believe the Crosley identified as a Hotshot is actually a Super Sport (being that it has doors). I like the looks of that Bridgestone motorcycle, quite uncommon these days.
    I haven't seen many silver Avantis:
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I grew up 25 minutes from P.D. Waugh, they have been around since before WWII and are the oldest Harley Davidson dealer in Virginia. I did not know they had an Avanti, Frank Drumheller may know more.
      Last edited by Guido; 10-31-2015, 02:52 PM.
      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

I believe that the '63 Avanti in the above photo is painted the 'Dupont' version of Avanti Turquoise...To me, it looks very similar to my own '63, which has that same paint formula on it.

There are definitely TWO distinct versions of the Avanti Turquoise exterior color....Ditzler (PPG) and Dupont, with the Ditzler version having much more of a 'blueish' tone...SN-60

Comment

I think it's Avanti Grey, which replaced the black when it was no longer offered. It has lots of blue in the formula.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Avanti Gray?....It's possible I guess.....but I very much doubt it!

Comment

Every Avanti Grey I've ever seen has been significantly darker than this car.
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                Every Avanti Grey I've ever seen has been significantly darker than this car.
                Agreed, Bill.

I suppose it depends on one's monitor, but I've got a pretty good ACER less than a year old, and that Avanti's color doesn't really look like any original 1963 Avanti color, IMHO.

Not to say it isn't pretty, of course, because it is. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Agreed, Bill.

I suppose it depends on one's monitor, but I've got a pretty good ACER less than a year old, and that Avanti's color doesn't really look like any original 1963 Avanti color, IMHO.

Not to say it isn't pretty, of course, because it is. BP

Actually, it DOES Bob.....It looks exactly like the Dupont version of 'Avanti Turquoise'....which, in my opinion at least , is a much nicer look than the Ditzler version, which probably should have been named 'Avanti Blue'!!

Comment

Here's 'Avanti Turquoise' on my own '63 ....in Dupont lacquer. (Many folks think lacquer doesn't 'stand up'....I painted this Avanti twenty-three years ago!)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Direct sunlight reflecting off a car can make a camera do crazy things, therefor the color we see in the photo may not be accurate.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

You're right Milaca. Lighting, cameras, and computer monitors make a difference. Looking at the contrast between the seats and outside though, I agree with Bob that it looks slightly non-original. Seeing it in person is the only real way to tell.

Comment

http://bezautoalchemy.com/wp-content...ver+0+copy.jpg
                          This one was Avanti Gray also.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                            My computer tells me I'm FORBIDDEN to see this Gray Avanti.......NOW I'm interested!!

Comment

Sorry, Try this:jay+avanti+silver+0+copy.jpg
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948

Comment

Working...
                              X