More Panamericana - Studes at speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Panamericana - Studes at speed

Javier sent me this link. Mostly Studes flat out in this year's race...

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

That last race reminds me of how much that race has changed since the days Mickey Thompson ran it, trying to miss cattle and farmers who knew nothing of the race. Great stuff!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

They sure don't sound like any Studebaker V8 that I have owned! My Overdrive equipped 55 was busy at 4,800 rpm in direct drive but quieter in overdrive at 3,600 rpm. Again this was 1969 on the uninhabited area north of Bell Road in Phoenix when I wanted to see what the car would do. I am glad of the statue of limitations is past!
      Bob Miles
      Tucson AZ

Comment

They sure don't sound like any Studebaker V8 that I have owned!
        Most of them sounded like Bowtie bellybuttons to me, but one was definitely a big block Blue Oval.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Almost all of them sounded like quick change rear ends also. It's been over 35 years since my racing involvement, so the sounds I recognize might be something else, but that whine as they go by reminds me of those rears. Thanks for these posts Dick, I really enjoy watching them. Bill

Comment

Thanks for posting Dick.
            Why so many Studes I wonder?

Comment

Because they're the cars that win
              Mark L

Comment

Dick:

Again, thanks for posting.... tempestan

Comment

Somewhat related.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...n-tribute-car/

Comment

At least one of those cars sounded like it has forced induction (supercharger) under the hood. That was a pretty awesome ride-along!

Comment

Without being familiar with those individual cars, I can tell you that the rules dictate no forced induction (single four barrel only) and a maximum of 305 cubic inches. The engines in the Studes are typically small block Chevies which are allowed under the rules because of the engines used in the '65-'66 Canadian made cars. Some have been run using stock engines (don't know about this year) but that's in the Turismo Producione class not in the Turismo Mayor class that wins all the races. I don't think quick change rear ends are allowed and they all use 5 speed trannys and 4 wheel disc brakes. The chassis/running gear will typically be worked over by current or former NASCAR builders.
                      Manuel J. Martinez
                      Baton Rouge, LA

Comment

Here's the rule book...

http://www.lacarrerapanamericana.com...15-ingles1.pdf

See page 121 section 16.2

305 CID is correct for 6 cylinder cars. The limit for V8s is 366 CID

A single 600 CFM carb for V8s

Top speed is limited to 145 through a combination of RPM limit, tire size, and gearing.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Dick for the post. Always inspiring.

Here some results for the first days. Studebakers do dominate as usual.

http://www.lacarrerapanamericana.com...-FINALES-1.pdf

Need to keep this race on my bucket list!

Pekka
                          sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Amazed me that when the Amazon turned over nobody came to help, usually they show pictures of a lot of people helping the crashed cars.
                            But this wasn't a US-made car.
                            sigpic

Josephine
                            Champion V8
                            4d sedan

Comment

So no blowers or stock motors... And the chassis's are all modern front clips and rears coils? That would make some sort of awesome daily driver! LOL...

Comment

Working...
                              X