Question on ebay Avanti interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on ebay Avanti interior

Shouldn't an Avanti this late in the production run have a solid color interior with thick back bucket seats? Owner claims 16K original miles but the front seats don't look right to me. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-A...m=181913083323
    Last edited by studefan; 10-26-2015, 02:46 PM.

Not sure what you're asking, but the seats are solid black. Isn't that correct for those cars?
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Seats should be thick back according to the serial number and should match the dash color and door panels. Plus side it has original carpet. I would like to see the car in person. How those black seats entered the picture is a mystery.

Bob Caser
      mrbobinc

Comment

I agree with the O.P. The front seats are earlier. I have serial #5408 and it has the thick seats. There are no pictures of the rear seat, so we don't know the correct color. Otherwise it is a nice example and should be worth at least $25,000 IMHO.
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Mine is #4986 and has thin seats.
          Mike
          Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

Best info I have indicates that the seat changed for serial R-5361 in Sept 1963. The newer seats have a 3 piece stitched vinyl back and a tubular steel frame that re-enforced the fiberglass shells. They are thicker due to the Styrofoam padding that was added to cover the steel frame.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

In the ebay ad I ask you to inquire with questions. Thank you for any and all questions. Attached is a picture of the back seat -please excuse it not being bright as I took it in the garage with the car cover on-I was purposeful at looking at the mounting bolts to see if they ever had a wrench on them and they do not appear as if they did. I checked back on pictures of the car when Burnell and Fettick owned it, and it has the black seats. If you need anything else checked, please let me know.
              THANKS
              Attached Files

Comment

So for what it is worth, the seats look like they have been replaced/recovered or the rest of the interior was replaced. All information available would indicate that the entire interior should be black. Additionally, Avantis of this vintage would have the thick reinforced seats. The color and grain of the 'wood' vinyl also looks off. Of course, the production order would clear up any mystery.

But for the record, I still think this is a very nice example and should fetch a very good price and I do not intend to be nitpicky. If I didn't already have four, I would be very interested.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The Production order shows a Elk Vinyl Interior, so the Seats were Elk before replacement with early '63 Black Seats.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I remember this car. The interior has been a topic of discussion. The question is whether Betsy had it changed by the dealer when she bought it or if the dealer changed it before it was sold. She had the car until she died and in her collection of papers there were several letters about people including Ed Reynolds wanting to buy the car. It was the literal little old lady in tennis shoes that drove the car maybe a mile away to go to the store. It had 13,000 miles on it. My guess and only a guess, is that Betsy liked getting in and out of the car with the thinner seat back and that is why it was changed. As I say, only a guess.

When she died, I got a call from someone handling the estate as to value. I did not put a value on it; suggested they call others and they had decided to place sealed bids on the car. Jim Feddick held back and quietly listened to people talking then at the end of the day placed a bid that was slightly higher than the last bid and won the car. After Jim died, lost track of the car.

Anyway, that is the way the car had seats in it.
                      Hope this helps

Bob Miles
                      Tucson AZ

Comment

WOW! Thanks for clearing up that issue. And I see you are from Tucson where the car resided most of it's life
                        THANKS AGAIN

NOTHING BETTER THAN A CAR WITH A NICE STORY!!!
                        Last edited by 00RACER; 10-26-2015, 03:54 PM.

Comment

The Production order shows a Elk Vinyl Interior, so the Seats were Elk before replacement with early '63 Black Seats.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Since you have it, you might want to consider adding a copy of the production order in Post 9 to the ebay ad so the bidders know how the car was originally equipped.

Comment

Is it possible that this is one of the earlier Avantis that was recycled by the factory, hence the x-outs. The factory forgot to xxx the ELV on the original order.

Comment

Working...
                              X