Window winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window winder

I'm trying to remove the inner door panel from my '61 Hawk. I have everything loose except the window winder. I have the clip out, but the handle will not pull off. The door handle came off with the removal of the clip, but the winder will not move. Anybody have any ideas? I don't want to break anything if I can help it! Thanks- Jim

Well it should just pull off if the clips off. Maybe the thing has got seized on because of the 2 different metals , try getting some penetrating oil in there.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
      try getting some penetrating oil in there.
      Agree; use some PB Blaster with a tube nozzle to get the penetration where you need it and let it soak for a day. Your handle is pot metal and prone to become gaulded to the shaft.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Is 'gaulded" a real word, Brad? If so, color me impressed! I think you meant "galling" though. If you look up "gaulding" there is a definition in the Urban Dictionary that describes it as chafing of a man's scrotum by tight-fitting clothing. That may also be relevant in some way, but probably not as directly.
        Last edited by Lothar; 10-19-2015, 08:15 PM.
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

Gaulding - Rumour has it that not being able to get a window-winder off can do that to you!

Comment

If your sure the clip is out completely then wiggle the handle in & out. That should give enough movement to loosen it from the regulator shaft. I've had those clips only partially release & end up sideways in the handle slot when I've thought I had it released. If that is the case it can be a real bugger but be patient. I've had to make a small hook to get that clip & pull it out all the way when the release tool didn't work like I had wanted. Make sure you reinstall the clips in the correct location on reassembly if not for you but for the next guy.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Well, had to cut the handle. The PO glued it in place as well as the clip. Looks like the splines are almost gone on the shaft, as well as on the handle. I'm going to try to save the shaft tho. Bump to top-Jim
              Last edited by jrlemke; 10-21-2015, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X