Bid now for a Cheap 1950 Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bid now for a Cheap 1950 Studebaker

Too bad someone chose to repaint the car in this color, but since they left the original Surf Gray under the hood, it would be easy to repaint it in the original color. Anyway, it looks like a very good car for the price.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDeta...Door-Sedan-Car

BTW, does anyone know what's up with the air filter? I've never seen that shape on a 1950 Studebaker.

$3250 with one hour to go, so it's still a good deal. The bad thing is that it doesn't have overdrive.

Comment

It's got the 3 cylinder motor. Is that rare? I've had a few 5 cylinder motors and maybe even a 7 cylinder.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Not familiar with this auction venue. Despite the poorly written ad and photos, it looks like a pretty decent car. I believe the air cleaner is a period correct "other" brand. The improvised battery hold-down is OK. Probably less likely to short to ground than the original. The paint could have been one of those "bargain left over paint" situations. Can't tell from the photos, but if it has a decent finish, I'd rather live with it than re-paint the car. There are a few nit picking items I see that could suggest an owner could have become frustrated with upkeep problems and decided to sell it. The mention of brake work, and noticing the gas gauge sender with the cover off are good clues. I'm thinking either an estate offering, elderly owner, or someone lacking the mechanical skills and tenacity to "stay with it"...could be why it needs another home. Hope it lands in a good place.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Sold for $3250 plus a 16% Internet premium bringing the cost to $3770.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I got it, looks like a six cylinder to me. I think its a good deal but I still have to pay for shipping to Pa.

Comment

I like the color
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I like the color too. Some stars on the doors with "US ARMY" over the top of it would look awesome. Then you could ad some red flags with 4 yellow stars on the front bumper. I love it.
                sals54

Comment

Congrats, KSKOMO!
                  ~Matt Connor
                  '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Originally posted by KSKOMO View Post
                    I got it, looks like a six cylinder to me. I think its a good deal but I still have to pay for shipping to Pa.
                    My neighbor and I each already have 1950 two door Champions, but Joe and I were on the phone talking to the auctioneer yesterday. He said the owner worked for a company that painted large truck mounted tool boxes, and this color was some of the left over paint. I'd probably leave the paint alone also since it looks to be in very good condition. If it ever needed to be repainted though I would go back to the original Surf Gray, like my car has.

I think you made a good deal on the car. What are your plans with it? Hope you keep us informed and post some pictures.

Comment

I'll have wait and see the overall condition. I do like the color and if the paint is decent I'll do the basic maintenance and take her to some local cruises.

Comment

Originally posted by KSKOMO View Post
                        I'll have wait and see the overall condition. I do like the color and if the paint is decent I'll do the basic maintenance and take her to some local cruises.
                        Congrats on an outstanding deal!
                        Barry'd in Studes

Comment

That's what I'd do also. I'd lube everything, and this includes cables, door hinges, and the hood latch, then drive it. WD-40 and an old cotton tee shirt can make the inner fenders and cowl look very nice. Drive it on nice days and enjoy it. You'll sure get lots of thumbs up. I drove mine to the club meeting and to the stores today and got lots of thumbs up and questions.

Comment

Working...
                          X