Free Studebaker 289 engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Studebaker 289 engine.

I'm not sure this is the right place for this but I have a 1962 Studebaker engine if anyone wants it. I traded a guy some Studebaker parts for it back in the mid-90's. I had to disassemble it to carry it home and still have most of the parts. The engine was kept in a dry shed where it is now. I don't know what the condition was when it was removed from the car. Here are some numbers: Engine casting # 535601 VIN# P88639. Cylinder heads # 535976 Crankshaft # 557424 Camshaft # 534131. The heads have the complete rockers and valve assembly intact. No manifolds, valve covers,pan,water pump etc. The pistons and connecting rod and caps are numbered in a separate box. The bad news is I don't have the main caps, lifters or pushrods. I know the main caps are very important but I don't have them. If you are interested let me know. I live in Northern New Jersey and you can come and pickup this stuff.

Sounds like it would be a good engine for someone to part out, since the block is close to useless without the Main Caps.
    It is a 1962 Studebaker 289 Engine, most likely from a GT Hawk or Lark Cruiser.

The Heads however, are from a Supercharged '57 Golden Hawk or a Truck with Low compression 7.0 or 7.5 to 1 Comp.

The Crank is a 1557424 289 c.i.d.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Free 289 engine

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Sounds like it would be a good engine for someone to part out, since the block is close to useless without the Main Caps.
      It is a 1962 Studebaker 289 Engine, most likely from a GT Hawk or Lark Cruiser.

The Heads however, are from a Supercharged '57 Golden Hawk or a Truck with Low compression 7.0 or 7.5 to 1 Comp.

The Crank is a 1557424 289 c.i.d.
      Thanks StudeRich, If the block is useless I'll take it to the local scrap iron dealer. I'll probably get around $10 or $15 bucks for it. How about the crank, heads and camshaft, would they still be useful to someone?

Comment

I would be good for someone that wants to build a 4 bolt main block.

Comment

Your block could be of use to someone who has an engine with a cracked block. They could use your block with their caps, and have a machine shop line bore them.
          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Definitely YES! They certainly could be of use to someone close enough to pick them up or afford the shipping.
            The Camshaft re-grinders are needing Cores, and the Crank may be turnable etc.

If it has flat top pistons this could have been a "Performance Build" with the High Compression Flat Top Pistons, but Low comp. Heads for a Supercharger.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The piston are dished. I have all the pistons matched with the connecting rod caps.

Comment

Best question no one asked is it a full flow block? late 62 also if not then best to scrap it. I just pulled a 289 engine with problems from a 64 cruiser and the block number is PM308 how can this be? the M is 13th letter and only 12 months in a year.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                  Best question no one asked is it a full flow block? late 62 also if not then best to scrap it. I just pulled a 289 engine with problems from a 64 cruiser and the block number is PM308 how can this be? the M is 13th letter and only 12 months in a year.
                  They intentionally skipped capital letter "I" since it could look like a numeral 1. M is December, so noted in the engine code section of the '59 - '64 Chassis Parts Catalog.

Comment

I'm always buying 289" engines just to get the cranks. If this wasn't on the wrong coast, I'd have it in the truck now.

Jack Vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Pm sent about 289 motor

Comment

Ok, thanks then this engine was built Dec. keeping the block , crank, cam, lifters, rods, and 70 heads rest is junk.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Working...
                        X