1949 truck radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 truck radio

I recently bought a 2 ton truck for body parts and was shocked to find a factory radio in the dash. This is the first one I've ever seen in 43 years of owning different Studebaker pickups. Anyone know how many were installed in the trucks? I know it is rare. Any one interested in it for a 49 restoration addition?
    Attached Files

There is no way to know how many were Factory Installed, Dealer Installed or Owner Installed, but I can tell you this; ANY year "C" Cab Truck WITH a Radio, is EXTREMELY RARE!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yep, rare is the word. I haven't seen one either. Be sure to save the fused wire, grill and antenna that goes with it.

Comment

I don't believe the radio itself is all that rare, as it was shared with the cars in those years. But its the speaker grille and the mounting hardware that is!

I have seen a few radios installed in 2R's including this one.

Craig

Comment

Studebaker did not make radios specifically for trucks until some time into the Transtar era.

Studebaker designed adapter kits to put car radios into trucks. That way, the dealer could sell last years car radio to a truck owner.

There are three different series of adapter kits
          -the early ones pictured here are for 47-49 car radios
          -the second series is for 50-52 car radios
          -the last series is for 53-55 car radios

As far as I can tell, any of these could go into any year C cab Studebaker truck. The dealer would see what car radio he had in stock and order the adapter kit to fit that radio. Nowadays, the adapter kits are much more rare than the radios, so one first finds the adapter kit, then looks for a radio to fit.
          Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-27-2015, 03:24 PM.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I think the 49 radio plate is the same right through 53 . I have a 52 with a rasio and its the same as this 49 radio plate.
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
              Studebaker did not make radios specifically for trucks until some time into the Transtar era.

Studebaker designed adapter kits to put car radios into trucks. That way, the dealer could sell last years car radio to a truck owner.

There are three different series of adapter kits
              -the early one pictured here are for 47-49 car radios
              -the second series is for 50-52 car radios
              -the last series is for 53-55 car radios

As far as I can tell, any of these could go into any year R series Studebaker truck. The dealer would see what car radio he had in stock and order the adapter kit to fit that radio. Nowadays, the adapter kits are much more rare than the radios, so one first finds the adapter kit, then looks for a radio to fit.
              Great comments from someone with "RADIO" in their forum name. I spent years searching for one of those truck radio kits.

I found one years ago. Then, I launched a search for the "perfect" radio. I now have a collection of radios. None "perfect." Next...came the realization that I would need to cut out the radio "delete" plate that is part of my very original and UN-molested dash.

Instead...I have opted to install a period correct aftermarket Motorola radio. No whacking and risk of a big "slip-up" cutting out that delete plate. If I was not such a "CASO"...I would pony up the dollars and have Roy repair and modify one of my Philco radios to broadcast AM and FM.

I've never had negative comments from fellow SDC members regarding the aftermarket radio. Certainly none from non-Studebaker folks. Having the correct Studebaker knobs for a 1955 Studebaker radio is a plus.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Ive got the remains of one in my 49. I am interested in it since mine needs some internal parts. PM me with info. Thanks, Steve
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                  I think the 49 radio plate is the same right through 53 . I have a 52 with a rasio and its the same as this 49 radio plate.
                  It is not clear to me what you are saying. How about a picture of your setup, please?
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                    Ive got the remains of one in my 49. I am interested in it since mine needs some internal parts. PM me with info. Thanks, Steve
                    If you post a picture of the adapter plate in your truck, I can tell you what year/model of radio to look for.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      It is not clear to me what you are saying. How about a picture of your setup, please?

the 1st pic is the radio and plate in my 50 pickup and the 2nd pic is the radio and plate in my 52 truck. Bothe radio kits are the same , the radio differs only in that one was a push button and the other is not a push button but that has nothing to do with the radio kit .
                      Guess what I'm saying is the dash and radios are no different 49 through 53
                      Found another pic of the 50s radio installed
                      Last edited by 2R5; 09-27-2015, 01:39 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

One difference, that I notice, is that the Radio Face plate for the early R trucks, is rather flat along the face. On the later trucks, like my '55, the radio dial window is indented at an angle. I would have to go out to my shop, find the plate, and take a picture to upload and show. Too much trouble. If anyone has a picture, or could scan one form the owners or accessories manual, that would be nice. Just going from my increasingly faulty memory, there is a difference, but not sure of what year it changed. However, I think that any of these face plates would fit in any C cab from the earliest to latest year.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

"However, I think that any of these face plates would fit in any C cab from the earliest to latest year." This is exactly what I am trying to say.

As I was attempting to explain earlier...

Any of the the radio adapter plates will fit in any year truck that has the same dash - probably 49-55?

The three types of adapter plates are different in order to accommodate/fit the three major physical types of radios/cases in the 47-55 period. Those three types are:
                          -47-49 car radio
                          -50-52 car radio
                          -53-55 car radio

All of the pictures of radio adapter plates in this post so far have been of the first series - to fit the 47-49 radio, regardless of the year of the truck. Studebaker designed it this way so the dealers could push old radios in stock.

I wonder if the first series adapter was more popular than the later ones. I have only seen one 50-52 radio style and two 53-55 radio style, but a bunch of the 47-49 radio style.

Any 47-55 radio will fit in any C cab truck with the proper adapter for that particular radio. There is no official style radio for the 48-55 trucks by year. A 55 radio is perfectly fine in a 49 truck, because the dealers installed the radios. The adapters are unique to the style of the radio, not to the year of the truck.

What ever radio the dealer had had from the 47-55 years would fit any of these trucks with the proper adapter.
                          Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-27-2015, 03:24 PM.

Comment

The radios I showed were the ones Studebaker intended to be put in R series trucks not the car radios 50 to 52 ....... Look in the assesory books
                            sigpic

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the info. Never thought I'd see so many. Got to look at my 49 Champion car in the morning to see if it matches the truck, if so I might have to keep it.

Comment

Working...
                              X