Rear Deflector for 53 or 54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Deflector for 53 or 54

I'm making a 53 out of a 55 tub so I have a different grill and bumpers. I just realized that because the 55 rear bumper is different than a 53 that the deflector is different. I don't have the right deflector to go with that bumper. I think its 1610-3, 303105P in the 51-54 parts catalog, that I need. I'm not sure why the 53 looks to be different in the catalog from the 54. Does anyone out there have this deflector?
    Thanks
    Bill
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

I am not near my parts books...

Is this the filler panel at the top under the trunk lid/tailights or the panel under the bumper attached to the frame?

If the later, the '53 part is totally different from the '54. There is an old post about this with pictures of the '53 version. That one could be made by hand with snips and a brake. The '54 version is more complex and stamped.

Jeff in ND

Comment

The '52 is, as Jeff states, basically a piece of sheet metal bent into a "Z" shape with cut-outs for the rear bumper brackets. The later version is stamped with a cutout area for an exhaust tip & I think the hawks used one with two cutouts, for duals. The '53 version exposes the rear frame cross-member and the fuel tank... I like the later version a lot better!

Comment

I've got the one between the pipes (duals on this 53. Not sure if that was an option or not) and the bumper. The one I'm missing is at the top under the trunk lid and tail lights.
        Bill
        http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
        sigpic

Comment

I believe the piece you need is reproduced in fiberglass from Classic Enterprises. They also have the lower ones. http://www.classicent.com/studebaker/coupes-hawks

Comment

I could be all wrong but I didn't think there was anything between the bumper and body on the 53/4. That bumper is very tight to the body if something is supposed to fit there its not the pice that works on 55-64 C/K cars.

Comment

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
              I could be all wrong but I didn't think there was anything between the bumper and body on the 53/4. That bumper is very tight to the body if something is supposed to fit there its not the pice that works on 55-64 C/K cars.
              There is a gravel guard/slash shield between the body and bumper on '53s. My '53 was hit in the rear years ago and I just got done straightening that piece out, in hindsight I think it would have been easier to get the repoped one but I wanted to keep it steel.

Comment

When I obtained my '53 C in 1976 it did, and still does, have a filler panel between the bumper and rear deck sill. That doesn't confirm that it should, as I believe sometime early in its life the entire drivers side was replaced with later model sheet metal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9250441.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1700524 Click image for larger version

Name:	P9250442.JPG
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1700525

Originally posted by 53commander View Post
                I believe the piece you need is reproduced in fiberglass from Classic Enterprises. They also have the lower ones. http://www.classicent.com/studebaker/coupes-hawks
                No one that I've found lists the correct lower gravel deflector for the '53. It is quite different than later models and is very easily fabricated by a hobbyist or sheet metal shop.

Name:	P9250440.JPG
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1700523 Click image for larger version

Name:	gravel deflector.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1700526
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

If its the one pictured above, I've got one of those up in my rafters. It needs to be cleaned up, but its straight. PM me.
                  sals54

Comment

I have one. It's a rear bumper gravel deflector C&K 53-54 PN 303105P. Contact me off list.

Name:	rear bumper gravel deflector C&K 53-54 PN 303105P 1.jpg
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1700545Click image for larger version

Name:	rear bumper gravel deflector C&K 53-54 PN 303105P 2.jpg
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1700546Click image for larger version

Name:	rear bumper gravel deflector C&K 53-54 PN 303105P 3.jpg
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1700547Click image for larger version

Name:	sheet metal page.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1700548
                    Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                    Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by alanmende View Post
                      I have one. It's a rear bumper gravel deflector C&K 53-54 PN 303105P.
                      That looks exactly like the one on my '53.
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                        That looks exactly like the one on my '53.
                        Definitely the same on my '53

Comment

Working...
                        X