56 wagon quarter change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 wagon quarter change

Does anyone know of a rear quarter panel change that was made during the 56 model year on a the 56 2 dr wagon? There is a sales item on E-bay right now (Item # 160181559874) that shows a little flair above the rear wheel. My wagon has no such flair. The reason I am asking is my bodyman and I have discussed how the front fenders on my wagon actually are a little wider then the back of the car. I explained that in 56 Studebaker took a 55 doors back wagon and put the new 56 front end on it. In 57 they changed the quarters to match the front. This picture appears to be different from mine. Maybe just the picture is misleading. Any thoughts? Thanks

There doesn't appear to have been any change during the 1956 model year. The same part number panels are listed for the entire year; this from the Body Parts catalog updated in April 1958. Had there been a mid-year change, it would have been noted in an updated Body Parts catalog. The same quarter panel parts numbers (right and left, of course) are listed for the entire model year.

If there appears to be a discrepancy shown on the e-bay item, it may simply be an "artist's rendition." [:0] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

There doesn't appear to have been any change during the 1956 model year. The same part number panels are listed for the entire year; this from the Body Parts catalog updated in April 1958. Had there been a mid-year change, it would have been noted in an updated Body Parts catalog. The same quarter panel parts numbers (right and left, of course) are listed for the entire model year.

If there appears to be a discrepancy shown on the e-bay item, it may simply be an "artist's rendition." [:0] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That is what I thought but looking at the picture it sure looks like a little flair is there. Mine is flat, straight down. My wagon was dipped so I kniow it is original. Maybe the sales picture is a drawing before production.

Comment

That is what I thought but looking at the picture it sure looks like a little flair is there. Mine is flat, straight down. My wagon was dipped so I kniow it is original. Maybe the sales picture is a drawing before production.

Comment

You have the flare across the top of the wheel opening, but not the trailing flair that arcs rearward and downward to the bottom of the panel like sedans have, correct?

Dwain G.

Comment

You have the flare across the top of the wheel opening, but not the trailing flair that arcs rearward and downward to the bottom of the panel like sedans have, correct?

Dwain G.

Comment

No, I have no flair at all.

Comment

No, I have no flair at all.

Comment

Agreed, the flair is greatly exaggerated in that ebay photo, but you must have at least a slight 'bulge' around the rear wheel opening?

Dwain G.

Comment

Agreed, the flair is greatly exaggerated in that ebay photo, but you must have at least a slight 'bulge' around the rear wheel opening?

Dwain G.

Comment

No. It is straight. The car is at the body shop so I can't take a picture. The reason I am sure, is my bodyman and I had this big discussion on the front fenders being wider then the rears. From what I remember about 3/4 inch on each side. I know in 57 they correted it with the new quarters but 56 looks like they just used the 55 wagon rear clip.

Comment

No. It is straight. The car is at the body shop so I can't take a picture. The reason I am sure, is my bodyman and I had this big discussion on the front fenders being wider then the rears. From what I remember about 3/4 inch on each side. I know in 57 they correted it with the new quarters but 56 looks like they just used the 55 wagon rear clip.

Comment

There's no flair. Here's a shot of both of Bess' rears:

As can be seen, no flair. There is a bit of a rolled edge, but no flair.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

There's no flair. Here's a shot of both of Bess' rears:

As can be seen, no flair. There is a bit of a rolled edge, but no flair.

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X