1950 Champion Business Coupe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Champion Business Coupe?

This picture was just posted on "Roadside Pictures", but has me wondering about the car. I know it's a 1950 Champion Business Coupe, but I thought it would have the split flat glass windshield. I know the Land Cruiser and convertible had the one piece windshield, but I thought all the other 1950 Models had the two piece, and all Studebaker cars in 1951 got the one piece. Also the horn button and steering wheel look like the lowest trim line, but the door panels and dash look like the De Lux trim line.

BTW, see................ you really do get the pretty women when you drive a Studebaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lady in 1950 Champion.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1748516

What kinda gals do YOU have, driving Studebaker?
    If the pretty ones aint there it's because they happened to look the other was when you drove by!

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
      This picture was just posted on "Roadside Pictures", but has me wondering about the car. I know it's a 1950 Champion Business Coupe, but I thought it would have the split flat glass windshield. I know the Land Cruiser and convertible had the one piece windshield, but I thought all the other 1950 Models had the two piece, and all Studebaker cars in 1951 got the one piece. Also the horn button and steering wheel look like the lowest trim line, but the door panels and dash look like the De Lux trim line.

BTW, see................ you really do get the pretty women when you drive a Studebaker.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47169[/ATTACH]
      Nope, 50 had one piece.
      Bo

Comment

That's some really nice looking trim I don't care what year model it is.

Dean.

Comment

'50 5-passenger coupes had a one-piece windshield. How do we know it's a 3-passenger coupe?
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

It has to be a starlight coupe, as others have said.

It has the deluxe/regal dash trim, dimmable/tilting rear view mirror, after market radio, and seat covers. Lovely seat covers, BTW.

Is this supposed to be a vintage photograph or a modern photograph? What was the source of the photo?
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Wondering if this is a modern photo made to look old - reason being, it looks like the step plate has screws running in the top down into the rocker - thought the front edge slid in the outside weatherstripping channel and then screwed to the floor on the inside with the carpet sitting over the top...
              Last edited by 62champ; 09-07-2015, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Ha , I spotted that radio after the roadside post . Was hoping no one else would see it , but i guess some of you know a thing or two about Studebakers . So it is a later modernish classy photo .
                Also they did`nt have bananas in the 50s ..

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                  Ha , I spotted that radio after the roadside post . Was hoping no one else would see it , but i guess some of you know a thing or two about Studebakers . So it is a newish classy photo .
                  Also they did`nt have bananas in the 50s
                  Hmmmmmmm? Wonder what my mother put in the banana pudding in 1952 that made my brother hate banana pudding to this day?
                  Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
                    Hmmmmmmm? Wonder what my mother put in the banana pudding in 1952 that made my brother hate banana pudding to this day?
                    My guess is those vanilla wafers that become very soggy...

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                      My guess is those vanilla wafers that become very soggy...
                      No, funny thing though. He can sit and eat a whole box of those vanilla wafers. Won't touch a banana, still! I all ways loved her banana pudding. She all ways made the pudding part from scratch, adding the bananas after the pudding was put in a bowl to cool. Then layer of wafers, layer of banana/pudding, layer of wafers, layer of banana/pudding, and so on until the very last layer of wafers. Chill for an hour, or so. Dish it out in a bowl after supper. Yummmmmm! He'd have to settle for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich during those occasions pudding was desert!
                      Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
                        Nope, 50 had one piece.
                        My book says '50 business coupe had two-piece flat w/s. '51 was curved.
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                          It has to be a starlight coupe, as others have said.

It has the deluxe/regal dash trim, dimmable/tilting rear view mirror, after market radio, and seat covers. Lovely seat covers, BTW.

Is this supposed to be a vintage photograph or a modern photograph? What was the source of the photo?
                          Thanks Roy, you solved the mystery. I totally forgot about the Starlite Coupe, and thought it must be a Business Coupe when I saw the rain gutter. I did notice the radio, but someone must have also changed the steering wheel to the low priced model with the flat metal horn button, just like my dad's 1950 base Champion had.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                            ...Starlite Coupe, ...
                            STARLIGHT-(note...not Starlite) was not used as a designation in 1950. At that time the Studebaker Corporation referred to it as a 5-passenger coupe (C model). The business coupe was designated as a 3-passenger coupe (Q model). I don't believe the designation "Starlight" was used before 1953.
                            Last edited by rockne10; 09-08-2015, 12:57 AM.
                            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                              My book says '50 business coupe had two-piece flat w/s. '51 was curved.
                              I thought they were talking about 5 passenger Coupe? Which is what the photo appears to be?
                              Bo

Comment

Working...
                              X