Video Dragged Me Back To My Youth!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Dragged Me Back To My Youth!!!

Made many a pass here when in high school....
    Went here as a kid with some older friends...
    Love this video (don't know anything about these guys and their Stude, but I vaguely remember it)
    Love this video!

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Thanks for posting Jeff. Thinking of the era...that should drag a lot of us back to our youth. 1965 was when I joined the Air Force. !966 I was at Myrtle Beach AFB. Next...1967 was Bergstrom AFB in Austin Texas. That summer, some buddies and I attended a big drag race event near San Antonio. Somewhere, I have some snapshots of the cars. Late in 1967, I was sent to Nam...gets a little blurry from there.

As for this video (film)...it is a good example of good ol' boy racin' across the nation. I didn't expect it to be as long as it is. Enjoyed all of it. Good memories indeed.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Excellent video , looks like there weren't timers , but that's not true.

Comment

WOW... that brought back some memories! Thanks for posting.

Comment

Am looking to see if this was the same car that I used to look for at the track...

http://www.racingstudebakers.com/foo...hp?f=19&t=3151

Not sure..

I remember by school friend had a '64 Ford XL with a 390 and a C6 we used to race.
          Be used my Dad's reamers and Greenlee punch and swiss cheesed the snot out of it.
          One time, we had to wait for his dad to come back to the track with the tow vehicle so we could get back home.
          While we were waiting, we walked the track and picked up debris...
          The starting line was littered with u'joint parts, and clutch parts.
          Further down the track the types of parts changes, and at the top end there were piston ring parts, piston parts and rod parts.
          Made me never want to ride a motorcycle at the strip.
          If you dumped it, you'd get sliced to ribbons...
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Wow, Jeff; that is a super video; thanks for the link/post. Great stuff. I see the Stude was running in C/Gas.

An interesting bit of trivia as to this being a transition time: An early, altered-wheelbase "funny car," a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere, is shown...but anytime after 9:00, you can see that the strip distinctly had a flag starter.

I would not have guessed that altered-wheelbase funny cars were as "early" as the time when flag starters gave way to the Christmas Tree, but this video proves that their "reigns" did overlap. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for that film Jeff. Brings back lots of memories. In that time period, I crewed for a buddy who raced a '57 Chevy. I don't remember him ever winning a race but we had fun. And one weekend, I raced my 1960 H-D Sportster just for fun. Luckily, I kept it upright the whole time.
              Rick
              Kingman, AZ

Comment

Great video! Like others have said it brings back lots of memories. I remember sneaking into our local drag strip and watching the action. We didn't have the gassers and dragsters like seen in this footage, but there were some pretty quick early '50's cars.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Jeff
                  When you were a youth ,photography had not been invented.

Comment

I loved the video but I am a little confused by it. Back in my misspent youth I raced all over the NE, Allentown & Easton PA., Westhampton Long Island, Middletown N.Y. and just about anywhere else that we could make it to. We ran a 33 Ford Coupe and a 49 Ford 2dr Sedan. The coupe had a wild "full race" flattie and the 2dr had a milder flathead as well. All of the tracks listed were NHRA sanctioned and we sure didn't get to run the coupe in the gas classes because it was channeled and didn't have fenders or a hood. It was put in altered coupes and sedans while the 2dr ran in c/gas with the 274 cu in flathead. What I am confused about is how a car with an obviously altered wheelbase could run in c/gas class. I thought Oswego was a NHRA track and the video appeared to have been taken at about the same time period. Any idea what gives?
                    Hobert J. Shy
                    21103 Harriet
                    Romulus, MI 48174

Comment

Was it the track in Oswego IL.?

Here is the car!
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVDxiIPaezA
                      Last edited by rkapteyn; 09-11-2015, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Looks like the wheelbase is stock, axles moved ahead, or body moved back. This was the get around on the wheelbase rule back in the day.
                        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Cool! I was thinking 1966. Then I went back and saw the label 65-67. Right in there about 65 I went over to Nationals at IRP one year with my BIL. We had passes to get in the tower at the finish and watched a good while from the roof. Great show!
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                          X