Report: Studebakers @ Fall Auburn/Auctions America Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Studebakers @ Fall Auburn/Auctions America Auction

'Spent Thursday, September 3, at the Auction Park SW of Auburn IN. Two Studebakers crossed the block and were sold Thursday. Several others were on the premises to be sold on the later, "heavier" (i.e., more expensive) days.

The first Studebaker to sell was this nice 1963 Hawk:

I didn't examine it closely, so I don't know of its structural integrity or anything. Bidding was spirited with the reserve (whatever it was) still in place until things slowed down around $13,000. The consignor then lifted the reserve and the hammer dropped at $14,500.

The last car to sell on Thursday, any make, was this 1962 Cruiser. It crossed the block around 5:00 PM. Now, you know what your Mom said about keeping quiet if you can't say anything nice, so I'll follow that advice here.

The car was announced to have "Power Windows and Power Seat," but they must've installed them quickly between when I took that photo and when it crossed the block a couple hours later....and they took them back off when I saw it parked in the SOLD lot before we left!

Miraculous, I tell you.

They also announced, "the seller reports 20,000 actual miles." The less said about that the better, but I suppose it might have been a New York City taxi , accumulating that many "actual," albeit hard, miles. Bidding opened around $1,000 and the hammer dropped at $4,600; SOLD. No comment.

Other Studebakers on the premises that will sell later in the event included a street rod 1958 Scotsman Wagon:

I believe the Scotty was Chevy-powered, but see the 1960 Hawk information below to know why I didn't check it out!

And a nice 1955 President Coupe:

...and the Coupe-Express discussed here a couple days ago. It really is pretty up close:

This was kind of a made-over 1960 Hawk with stick, but would be a nice fun cruiser if the price was right. I'm not sure of the original color, but if this is supposed to be 1960 Pacific Blue, it is light:

The '60 was to be sold Saturday, IIRC. The information sheet said it had a 259 engine, but with my hernia surgery last week, there's no way I could lift a Hawk hood to investigate!

Finally, this nice 1962 Hawk was going down the chute Saturday, too, IIRC:

All the time we spend here on the forum trying to educate newbies on Flight-o-Matic being a three-speed transmission must be paying off...paying off all too well, as a matter of fact...this '62 had a 4-speed FLight-o-matic! It said so right here, along with the Power Convertible Top and black leather interior!

Finally, this pretty '40 Champion was offered for sale in the car corral, not to be auctioned:

Overall, a nice day. Prices for everything sold went from bargain to pretty tall on rare occasions, to be expected on the first day of a 4-day sale. The bargain was an honestly-nice, triple soft yellow 1978 Cadillac Eldorado Barritz (spelling?) Coupe that was offered at No Reserve and sold for only $1,000! I really didn't see anything all that wrong with it, and I had looked it over up close outside before it went in. Beats me.

I think I "got" all the Studebakers in the above report. If anyone else was there and saw additional Studes, please post. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 09-05-2015, 01:43 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob P. -

Thanks for posting all of this. I haven't found this auction on TV.

That first Hawk looks nice. I would only have to change the tail light lenses to make it legal here.

The Cruiser really looks like one that spent most of its life in this area and was "restored" years ago. I guess it is possible even though I realize that it is not the only black 1962 Cruiser. Studebakers that I have previously owned are now coast to coast. That is one thing about cars, they are mobile.

On the second Hawk, you are bothered by the four speed (three forward and one reverse <G>) transmission, but not the "Power convertible top" or the "Black leather interior". At least they got "GRAN TURISMO" correct.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Bob. Recognize that '40 Champion as the one owned by Chuck Waddups in Logansport, IN. Tried buying it for years. Rex M. called me yesterday from Auburn and I talked to the seller. Wanted too much.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Gary: If you go to their website, http://www.auctionsamerica.com/ you can watch the auction live.

ASlso, I beleive NBCSN carries all (or parts of) Auction America auctions. They had signs all over promoting NBCSN. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up and the report, Bob. I'm in the midst of painting my living room, then I'm gonna hang a 48" Smart TV just so I can see these things for myself. Until then, thank you for being there.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
          X