Ww 2 trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ww 2 trucks

We currently have three world war two studebaker 6x6 wheel drive trucks on the market here in oz (good looking beasties!!); havent seen one for sale in some time, so to have 3 at once is unusual - i do remember one on a local station (bloody big farm) in the 70's but i think they are quite rare (although i understand there is a few in russia from the war, as many were sent there to help out- russia had thousands of artillery pieces, but no trucks to tow them). How often do they appear in the u.s, both at meets and for sale??

I have never seen a detailed accounting of exactly how many of the US6 trucks went where, but I know that more than 100,000 (which was over half of production) went to the Soviet Union. Australia got a bunch, and the British Army got a bunch for use in Burma. Except for those assigned to the Army Corps of Engineers (to build the Alcan Highway among the other things), the only ones that stayed in the US were those that were on the production line or in the process of being shipped elsewhere when the War ended. The Army terminated the shipment of US6 trucks overseas immediately, and also cancelled the contract with Studebaker for the production of war materiel.

I believe those sent to Australia were crated and had to be assembled, but most of the others were completely assembled.

The Army sold off most of them as surplus equipment after the War, and many were purchased by rural fire, park, and highway departments, as well as drilling companies and others who needed a huge vehicle that could go anywhere. One turns up for sale on ebay now and then, and a magnificent example, complete with auxiliary trailer, impressed the crowd at the Gettysburg IM a few years ago by racing up and down a steep hillside.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
      How often do they appear in the u.s, both at meets and for sale??
      I photographed this one of John Benter's at the North Central Zone Meet in 1991. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=crosby

I recall there was another US6 at the International Meet in Seattle in 1982.

Craig

Comment

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bridgetown/heavy-farming-agriculture-equipment/1945-studebaker-6x6-army-truck/1086227887

$12950 US.?

Comment

Anyone who may be interested, I have a late '45 production unit in need of total body and interior restoration. It has virtually no rust but in need of TLC. It runs very well. 10 Brand new tires, tubes, liners and the wheels were sandblasted and zinc chromate plated before the green paint application.
          pm me if anyone has any interest.
          Cheers, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
            Anyone who may be interested, I have a late '45 production unit in need of total body and interior restoration. It has virtually no rust but in need of TLC. It runs very well. 10 Brand new tires, tubes, liners and the wheels were sandblasted and zinc chromate plated before the green paint application.
            pm me if anyone has any interest.
            Cheers, Bill
            Do you deliver...?

Comment

If anyone is interested, check out the September, '15 issue of Turning Wheels. There's a great thorough article about the WWII Studebaker trucks sent via Lend-lease to Russia.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I've seen a number of them for sale on Craigslist in the US over the last year. They do not seem to be particularly rare, but I get a feeling they don't sell all that easily due to their size, plus the fact they are usually in kind of rough condition even if running.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Working...
                X