Power Steering question on 53 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering question on 53 Commander

So I have this 53 Commander with the saginaw box, is there other power steering pumps that will work without using the original pump? The car is kindof a resto mod at this point anyhow. Anyone have a nice setup they would like to share? Brackets, pump, lines, pics?
    McD[IMG][/IMG]
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport
    59 Renault 4CV

Care to share why the OEM pump isn't the preferred option? Knowing what you're trying to accomplish might help get more specific recommendations.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I have a line on the OEM pump and brackets. $140 + shipping. I will have to rebuild the pump. Do not know where to get that kit. Thought it might be cheaper and a lot less time going with something else.
      51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
      53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
      62 Volvo PV544 Sport
      59 Renault 4CV

Comment

Make sure you get the two special head bolts (double stud)with
        the package to bolt the bracket to the engine.
        Also the power steering hoses with the restrictor.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechoct2014p2.html
        Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry's sample p.s. stud.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1700010Click image for larger version

Name:	my home-made p.s. studs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1700012
          I was unable to find the correct head bolts when I added my power steering, so I made studs. The first picture is a sample bolt a friend loaned me to copy, the second pic is my completed studs. I used grade 8 coarse thread bolts, and threaded the fine thread end. I ground a long taper, or lead, to help get the treading die started.
          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

You can do what I am doing. Going electric. No pump, belts, pullies, or hoses.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...S-on-Buttercup

Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

This box was used from late '53 through '57 and some '58s. The pumps were not all identical. This is a GM gear and used GM pumps I think.... Not sure how long GM used it on their cars.

I sourced a setup from a '57 hawk for my '53 and the pump that was with it was not the same in appearance as the '53-'54 shop manual or other through '55 cars I have seen. I WAS however identical to a '57 caddy I saw at a car show. When I went through my pump (came from old junk yard) I found some rust pits inside and swapped parts around with a similar pump I got at a swap meet that I suspect came from a Chevy.

The point to all this is you could likely get a pump from any GM car that used that same gear box and if you can get the correct pulley for it (GM ones not dished out I think) it would work. Note that the shaft OD varied over the years as well.

I was told my a tech at Lares Corp (rebuilds those gears) that a "modern" pump, especially one for a rack & pinion setup would have too much pressure and damage the seals in the gear.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
              X