Opening a 1950 hood question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening a 1950 hood question

I am purchasing a 1950 Champion. The individual is to take pictures of the engine but can' get the hood open. I am not familiar with them so am looking for suggestions and if possible pictures. He said he has pulled on everything on the dash which looked like it might be a release with no success.
    Thanks

There should be a chrome T handle under the left side of the dash with an H stamped in it. And a "J" hook at the very front of the hood as the secondary.

Comment

But, if that cable is frozen, he will need to remove one of the grills and pry the latch from underneath with a large screwdriver.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

And...warn him...whatever it takes...try to get some lube up to those hood hinges! When he starts to lift the hood...pull a bit forward as he is lifting. One of the most difficult body repairs is a "KINKED" (bent) hood corner!
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'm not sure about the 50, but some cars had a black plastic knob on the dash that looks like the rest of the knobs. It should have an H in the center but some folks think it is the heater control
          Neil Thornton

Comment

Try the instructions for a '51 shown here.........
            https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...h-control.html

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
              I'm not sure about the 50, but some cars had a black plastic knob on the dash that looks like the rest of the knobs. It should have an H in the center but some folks think it is the heater control
              The hood release should look similar to the hood latch and overdrive T handles on this 52. If the cable is stuck or broken, you will have to release it from below. Don't cut any holes like some people have done.
              Attached Files
              sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

I had a 50 Commander with a rusted cable and was able to come up from below with a long screwdriver and pop the latch. It was pretty easy and quick if you find the right hole in the latch plate to pry the catch to the side.

Comment

Working...
                X