Unusually nice ORIGINAL Goat Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusually nice ORIGINAL Goat Wagon

I was called to look over a halfway decent 1962 Hawk and a not-so-decent 1966 Thunderbird to be offered for sale sooner or later. They belonged to one of our late Indy Chapter SDC members, but plans and prices are uncertain as of right now. Both cars have been off the road about ten years and are dirty, but were driven to where they are stored inside a good garage with no mice. I took plenty of photos and will post when and if they are priced and offered for sale.

(The owner, the member's older brother, is still contemplating how much to do to each car to prepare it/them for sale. I encouraged selling as is since he does not have the wherewithal to get the cars back on their feet and would have to pay retail for a shop to do it. Paying retail to have the cars hauled to a commercial shop and made driveable might result in the cost not coming back to him, IMHO. Stay tuned.)

Meanwhile, his younger brother also had an unusually nice, original Studebaker Goat Wagon that had never been redone. I know these aren't all that rare, but I was impressed with this one's patina and thought those interested would like a peek. (NO; the goat wagon will not be for sale; it is being retained by the family.)

The story is (and could be true) that the now-deceased brother bought it from the estate of the elderly original owners maybe 25 years ago. They bought it for their young daughter to play with circa 1913(?) I did the math: Assuming the original owners were well into their 90s when the estate was settled and the goat wagon was sold, it could be true.
    Cool beans. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I want one of those in a bad way. So cool! Thanks for sharing BP.

Comment

Well...if they do decide to sell the wagon...my two "Kids" might be interested.

Bell_goat.jpgStar_goat.jpg
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        Well...if they do decide to sell the wagon...my two "Kids" might be interested.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46560[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46561[/ATTACH]
        I dunno, John; I forgot to check the GVW Rating Plate to see if it has the reinforced frame for 2GP (Goat Power). BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Now don't that get your goat?
          JS
          I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
            Now don't that get your goat?
            JS
            Said Jim sheepishly...
            Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

And I was expecting a 455 HO !

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                And I was expecting a 455 HO !
                Well, that would have been placed in Stove-Huggers, Bill! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Are plans for Studebaker toy wagons, or goat wagons, available to build replicas? I would like to try to build one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
                    Are plans for Studebaker toy wagons, or goat wagons, available to build replicas? I would like to try to build one.
                    I think there used to be plans available on e-Bay.
                    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

You can buy a replica here:

https://www.lehmans.com/p-331-studebaker-wagon.aspx

Or plans from a seller on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harvard-Stud...item43e12956d1

Comment

What holds the seat up? It looks like it is just perched there.
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                          What holds the seat up? It looks like it is just perched there.
                          You're right, Kurt; it is just kind of perched on top of the bed sides, so it can be slid front or back to accommodate different rider sizes. The insides of the brackets go down to grip the insides of the bed sides to keep it from going outside the box. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Thanks, Matt and Guido.

Comment

it appears that Lehmans is "out of stock" at this time.
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X