Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Drive ...er

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been here. We have been enjoying our '56 Power Hawk. We just recently went to a car show in Winnemucca, NV. We drove our Stude from The Phoenix area, 800 mi each way. We drove up through the Big Smokey Valley. This is really the first time we have taken it "out and about". We have driven it locally a ton but never long distance. I am happy to report that "Lollipop" drove like a Rolls-Royce and ran like a Giselle. I could not have been more pleased. It was an outstanding (albeit flippin' hot) trip there and back. We have the 259/w 4bbl. and got 21 MPG ! Pretty awesome for a 59 year old. Hell, I'm 61 and I don't run that well. I didn't take too many paved roads either. We got a 2nd Place trophy and were the ONLY Studebaker in the 1940 to 1959 Stock Class. A few pics.

20150802_155148.jpg 20150802_162600.jpg 20150803_085815.jpg 20150802_162600.jpg

Rog
    Attached Files
    As you walk down the fairway of life you must
    smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.

Ben Hogan

That is great to hear! And it even nicer to hear that she was recognized with an award. Nice looking car!
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Very Pretty Power Hawk, there are VERY few left in the original Salmon Color, called "Tangerine", not the same as "Flamingo" in 1961.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Roger, fantastic looking Hawk - 1,600 mile trip with no trouble first time around is a great start.
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

1600 miles....Now that's really DRIVING a Studebaker....Good for you and that pretty lady!

Comment

Now THAT'S the way to enjoy your Stude! Might wanna think about an AC setup, if you continue to drive it there in and around AZ.

Comment

Sharp looking car, and it's nice to see them left original. You have the added benefit of living in a dry state that won't rust the car like Minnesota. Too bad California couldn't have had half our rain this year.

Comment

Great color combo; very "50s." Congrats all around; cool beans! BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 56PHawk View Post
                  Hi all,

...We drove our Stude from The Phoenix area, 800 mi each way...
                  I didn't take too many paved roads either...

Rog
                  GOLLY!...UN-paved roads in Arizona and Nevada must be much different than the ones here in the Carolina hills! First of all...here...it would require a truck load of air filters, frequent stops to tighten all the bolts, and you'd never get the red dirt off the upholstery... or your underwear!
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Good on Ya! She looks great (so does your car)! A great way show off how great these cars really were.
                    Cheers,
                    Bill

Comment

Nice to be able to go on a long trip, too bad the trophy has a 57 Chevy on it.
                      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Absolutely fantastic! Congratulations on the award, but even for so for diving that far to get it. My hat is off to you guys!
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Thanks for the nice words everyone! We really enjoyed the trip. Windows down sunburned arms and all. We met my brother + wife from the Bend, OR and some friends from Roseburg, OR in Winnemucca. There were REALLY a lot of nice cars up there. There was a 1929 Stude Touring Car in the show as well, but different class.
                          Would I drive our PH that far again? Probably not. But the experience that we had with be with us for ever.
                          StudeRich: I purchased the car with the paint. I suspected that it was a color match to the original paint code but am glad to know that the original had the salmon tint. I have the original production order that shows it was shipped Tangerine/Snow Cap.
                          JCClary: We retired to the Phoenix area and you can drive for HOURS and see nothing but asphalt and concrete. (4.3 + million souls) But the journey to get here covered a lot of "unpaved" miles.

Here's a link to the event web page:

http://www.fifties-fever.com/EventWinners.htm

Ben Hogan

Comment

And about the 57 Chevy.........that was my first comment........ok second......"really a 57 chevy"? My wife wacks me on the arm and says "don't be talking bad about MY trophy"!

Translation- What you talkin' about Willis?! Funny!

Ben Hogan

Comment

I have a real affinity for Power Hawks since I've owned mine since January of 1966 bought as the third owner with 33K on the odometer. Purchased originally in RI, it traveled several times to South Bend and other locations finally to be driven out here to Austin Texas in the early 1990's and it just turned over 90K.

Comment

Working...
                              X