Starter trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter trouble

Sometimes things just don't work out like you planned. My 52 had been having starting problems that, at first, I thought was a low battery. Lately, the problem seemed worse even though the battery was at full charge so I pulled the starter for a look. The inside was remarkably clean and I didn't see any problems so I lubed the shaft a bit and reassembled everything. When I put power to the starter it seemed to turn a bit easier than before so I reinstalled the it and checked all the connections and grounds.
    Shortly after this, I hooked up the battery and gave the starter a try. I was pleased that, although the engine still did not turn over like I thought it should, it started up. I accidentally turned the key back too far and killed the engine, but it restarted. This time I smelled something hot and shut it off.
    Today I took the starter to a starter/generator repairman here that I trust. He put power to the starter and it turned a tiny bit and the smell was back. When he took the case apart the insides were fried. He has no source of parts for this model anymore so I'll have to replace it. Bummer.
    sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

S.I. appears to have starter motor rebuild kits and other starter parts for a '52... other vendors probably have what your re-builder needs.

hope this helps. at least it's a bump!
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I have SI's catalog open at the page as I'm getting ready to rebuild my two starters. They have rebuild kits and, if needed, new armatures. SI also has a rebuild service for $210.00.
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

My brother just turned up an NOS drive for a good starter I have with a rusty/stuck starter drive. I think I will try fixing it first. (I think the drive was in a box under his bed )
        sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
        X