1950 Commander Bumper Override Kit or Accessory Bumper Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Commander Bumper Override Kit or Accessory Bumper Guards

I remember someone wanting one of these kits but could not find it, thus this post. I have a set, all 9 pieces for front and rear I no longer need. They will require some TLC and Rechorming. The picture below describes what I am talking about. These are original Studebaker Accessories. I thought I would post here before Ebay or the national meet next month.

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
    I remember someone wanting one of these kits but could not find it, thus this post. I have a set, all 9 pieces for front and rear I no longer need. They will require some TLC and Rechorming. The picture below describes what I am talking about. These are original Studebaker Accessories. I thought I would post here before Ebay or the national meet next month.

How much were you thinking on price? Send me a PM.
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Be aware that the 50 Commander/land cruiser accessory bumper guards are different than the ones for 51 and also will not fit the 48.

Also, from 50 and earlier, they are different from Champion to commander/land cruiser.
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-21-2015, 04:12 PM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The tops for the top of the bumper are 1950 commander/land cruiser only. I think the curved bars will interchange with champion in 1950 and all 1951. To my knowledge this accessory only was offered for 50 and 51
        Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Yes, what did you want for them? Posting photos so we could see the condition would be good too. Thanks.

Comment

I thought 49 Commanders also had the same bumpers as 50 Comanders (and Land Cruisers) ?
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              I thought 49 Commanders also had the same bumpers as 50 Comanders (and Land Cruisers) ?
              They are almost the same. There is a center seam/divot on the 49 Commander that the 50 does not have, but that will not affect the fit of these accessory guards.

The 50 Commander accessory guards will fit on a 49 Commander, but not a 48.

The reason I mentioned 51 and 48 in my initial reply is because they are listed in 61lark4dr's signature. The 50 Commander guards as a complete set will not fit 51 or 48 land cruisers.

I have only seen them in the 50 and 51 accessory books, but I don't have accessory books for other years, so I am only commenting on what will FIT, not what is correct/authentic/stock.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Putting this back out as apparently yesterday's post got lost!

I would take $100 for all 9 pieces. Shipping is based on 27 lb from 63128 for a box 33x10x17 (include insurance when figuring shipping) I plan on asking $150 at the national meet as it is not easy to find these as a set. I have another set for my 50 commander thus I am selling this set as I sold the second 50 commander I had.

A couple of the wing guards need the studs where they mount on the side of the bumper repaired. The center front bar has a twist on it otherwise they all appear straight. The wing guards and the center bar will fit on 51 and 52 cars but you have to use the taller bumper guards. This set will work on 49 commanders but the books do not show they were offered for that year!

The front guards are in better shape than the rear, the chrome on the two rear bumper guard caps is really weak.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50 guards front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	1699460

Name:	50 guards rear.jpg
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1699461

Name:	50 guards rear wing 0.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1699462

A couple of the wings have some rust on the side ends

Name:	50 guards rear wing 3.jpg
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	1699463

While the front toppers have driver chrome on them, the rear are as you see below

Name:	50 guards rear topper.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1699464
                Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Did you ever sell these? I guess I missed this posting somehow. Darn it...
                  sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                  Regal Deluxe Trim
                  Automatic transmission
                  46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

They sold , sorry
                    Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
                    1967 Avanti
                    1961 Lark 2 door
                    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post

Found this older string and thought I'd bring it up again. I am looking for a full set of these bumper guards. Any condition considered. Can any of you help me out? Please send me a PM. Thanks! --Kenny
                      1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                      1951 Champion Business Coupe
                      1951 Commander Starlight
                      1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                      1953 Champion Starlight
                      1953 Commander Starliner
                      1953 2R5
                      1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                      1957 Silver Hawk
                      1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                      1959 Silver Hawk
                      1961 Hawk
                      1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                      1963 Daytona Convertible
                      1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                      1965 Cruiser
                      1970 Avanti

Comment

drrotor, what year and model is your car? The 50 Commander set differs from the 50 Champion and from the 51 set. The differences seem to be in the vertical guards parts. Some mount atop the stock guards and some replace the stock guards with taller ones.

Comment

Working...
                        X